1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Female moscovy - trying to get here to lay right now?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by remadl700, Nov 8, 2010.

1. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I was hoping I could encourage her to lay another batch of eggs for the winter. Or is this not going to work?

If so how do I go about helping her get motivated?

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Nope they lay when they want. My females never lay over winter. I guess you could try adding light but I have never done this so not sure if it would work for ducks.

3. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    I couldn't imagine hatching ducklings through the winter here in MI. They'd have to be raised in a brooder, as it's too cold here and 'scovies don't brood their ducklings like other ducks do... I don't know how I'd keep 'em warm or keep their water from freezing! [​IMG] I also HATE brooding ducklings artificially and I bet I'd hate it worse in winter. You're braver than I to WANT to do that! [​IMG]

Mine don't lay in the winter. They START occasionally as early as Februrary here. But, it's kinda a piddly lay, off and on. Since the eggs freeze I just take 'em away. They tend to stop again until April, and start accumulating eggs then. [​IMG]

4. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Quote:When they do start how long do the lay/collect eggs for and should I just leave them alone if it is not freezing outside?

5. thepromise

thepromise Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Orange County
    My Muscovys usually has a month break once her ducklings stray from her. They usually do that to her when they are about 2-3 months old. Then shes laying again. One of my girls is laying right now. 7 eggs in an old dog house... she will continue until she gets at least 22. [thats usually how many she lays, although i got 25 from her in July.] I let her do the setting, but since im from orange county, california... our winter weather isnt that bad... but if your from the north, id say collect them and incubate them yourself or use them in cooking! I love Muscovy eggs in cake batter. [i dont know why?] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by