Female muscovy being left out

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Muscovygirl426, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Muscovygirl426

Muscovygirl426 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2017
    I have 2 females 1 male. Is it normal the 1 female pecks at the other while in the Hut and I see the one wandering alone while the other female and male "hang" out. Should I have 3 females to 1 male? Before we got the male, the 2 females followed each other constantly. Now I feel my one female (who laid her first thing of eggs 2 weeks ago that were not fertile die to only having 2 females) is being singled out. we got the male soon after so not sure if that is the issue or if it's the numbers. Ideas? Help? Thoughts? Thanks in advance

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    At least she'd have a buddy to hang out with. Something similar happened here I have 4 female Muscovy's and 1 drake 2 of my females are sisters and have always been best buds well sometime over fall and winter one of the sisters has buddied up with another of the females and they both started chasing the one sis when I put them in at night and ignoring her during the day. Happy to say the 4th female and this one being left out have been roosting together so I have hopes now they will become good buds. Now I have 3 females up on roosting 2X4 and the bully is sleeping on the shavings. This time of year here anyway, the girls will get into what I call small cat fights, they usually don't amount to much but they can sure put on a show. I'd say get another female so your girl who is being left out can have a friend.

3. Muscovygirl426

Jan 22, 2017
    Yea the females are sisters as well. I figured the one that's being singled out (pogo-we thought was a male originally) was mad at polly because all 18 of her eggs were missing. They got into a "cat" fight not to long ago which was quite funny to watch. I am new to muscovys so it was interesting. I will definitely be looking into getting her a friend. Her sister might jus be jealous she had eggs and she didn't lol. Thanks for your thoughts and sharing

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They really are interesting to watch. Remind me of humans alot of the time with the fighting, bullying and stinginess that goes on. lol

5. Muscovygirl426

Jan 22, 2017

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well that sums it up real good. and look at the drake has his feathers up on top of his head he is loving it. strutting around too. So funny. No ducks don't go into heat but they do have times of the year when they mate in a frenzy so I guess it's similar. My Muscovy's are still complacent toward the drake and him with them it will all change soon though. My Runners/Buffs have been at it all winter. [​IMG]

Pretty Muscovy's Are ya'll in the US?

7. Muscovygirl426

Jan 22, 2017
    Thank you. And yes. We are in Florida. Got a picture today from my boyfriend of my drake mating with my one female that was. Being left out... Crazy ducks

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well that is encouraging news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by