Female Muscovy change in behavior

Minjojojo

Chirping
Dec 7, 2017
New Jersey
My female Muscovy at about 28 weeks of age is acting like she’s broody (sitting in a dark quiet place by herself with the eggs under her, aggressive, obsessed with down feathers that fell out) but she is still laying every day. Also I’ve been taking away the eggs every morning so there are no eggs to sit on - when I come in in the morning she is sitting on the eggs, and when I take them away she continues to sit there without moving as if she’s still sitting on eggs. She doesn’t attack me when I get the eggs - only when I collect the down feathers to clean the coop. She’s never been aggressive towards me and she’s never bitten me like this before so I was a bit surprised.

I only have 2 females and no drakes, so there would be no point in letting her sit on the eggs even if she went broody.

So now I want to ask my fellow duck keepers - is she broody?
Any input would be appreciated.

Broody ducks build a nest by continuing to lay until they get “enough eggs”. Taking the eggs won’t change her desire to hatch them, but making her move will likely cause her to lay somewhere else. If you keep making her move, she may give up sooner than just letting her keep sitting in the same spot.

You have to know Muscovy's they do not give up I closed both of mine outside yesterday messed their nests up kept them out and when I opened the door back up so my chickens could go in for the night they just went right back to sitting. I don't think this makes us non caring if we just let it run it's course I have had Muscovy's since 2004 and never lost one to letting them just get it out of their systems by them selves.

You have to know Muscovy's they do not give up I closed both of mine outside yesterday messed their nests up kept them out and when I opened the door back up so my chickens could go in for the night they just went right back to sitting. I don't think this makes us non caring if we just let it run it's course I have had Muscovy's since 2004 and never lost one to letting them just get it out of their systems by them selves.

New one on me. You definitely know them better than me, so I defer to your opinion. :bow

I believe @oldhenlikesdogs does not let her broody muscovies sit. She carries a big stick to collect eggs and takes care of nests. If my memory is not failing me right now. :old
Mine aren't laying eggs yet at 17 weeks. I check everyday waiting for my first duck egg.
I will be destroying nests and collecting eggs daily. I have a couple of big sticks, just waiting for the day. ;)

I believe @oldhenlikesdogs does not let her broody muscovies sit. She carries a big stick to collect eggs and takes care of nests. If my memory is not failing me right now. :old
Mine aren't laying eggs yet at 17 weeks. I check everyday waiting for my first duck egg.
I will be destroying nests and collecting eggs daily. I have a couple of big sticks, just waiting for the day. ;)
I don't generally let mine sit, you are correct. I collect eggs, and mess up the nest or block it as mentioned.

They seem to need to go through the whole process, and are best totally broke after all eggs are laid, and they start sitting very stubbornly. Some can get pretty aggressive.

I have had some big brawls with a few broodies trying to get their eggs at times. I do use a walking sticking which I attempt to get under the duck and pull the eggs close enough to me to pick them up safely. Seems you need to stay about 2-3 feet away before it triggers an attack for some.

Sometimes a hen will quickly try to roll them back under themselves when I m trying to get them. For a truly stubborn or aggressive hen I get out my fishing net to pry her off while protecting myself from pinching bites, and those flying kicks. I've been scratched by them too.

I cannot allow them all to hatch repeatedly throughout the season, so I keep at them, and keep track of them so they don't find somewhere to sneak off to. It's a game me and my muscovy hens play yearly.

They lay pretty much their whole lives. My oldest hen is slowing though at 12, and I feel bad breaking her, but now she breaks easier than she used to. My 10 year old hen is extremely vicious, and one of my younger ones just leaves her nest when I come near. They definitely all have their own personalities.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom