Female muscovy start trilling loudly everytime they see me?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CherpNPeep, Dec 2, 2019.

1. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    Is this a broody thing? When I step into the run they keep trilling and look up at me but then when I step out, they're dead silent. Are they hungry?

Raenh and Daphne_loves_mealworms like this.
  2. johntfs

johntfs Chirping

Dec 1, 2019
    Jackson, Tennessee
    How else do they react to you? Do they avoid you? Bite at you? Try to get petted? Rub their butts/cloaca on you? Maybe they're just happy to see you because you = food/petting/nice stuff.

3. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    They seem fine, they follow me as always. It's just today they were acting more spontaneous.

Raenh and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. johntfs

johntfs Chirping

Dec 1, 2019
    Jackson, Tennessee
    Bearing in mind that I don't own ducks and every bit of info I share is second-hand from the internet, I wouldn't be concerned about it unless some kind of secondary/problematic situation appears in conjunction with it.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

My Muscovy females trill to each other but never to me. They must accept you as one of their own!

ColtHandorf, Raenh, Suedan and 2 others like this.
  6. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Crowing

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    My two trill to each other and to me when they get excited about something - mealworms, going outside on a nice day, seeing each other after being apart, etc. The noise they make when broody is much different, more of a chirpCHIRP! with attitude. Mine don’t trill when broody and they don’t chirpCHIRP! when not broody or at least pre-broody. The volume of their trilling changes based on their level of excitement. Mine have recently been “angry battle trilling” which is very loud and high-pitched and is followed by biting and feather pulling.

Raenh, CherpNPeep and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Are they still at each other? This afternoon one of my Muscovy girls had hold of on of the chickens:barnie

Raenh and CherpNPeep like this.
  8. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Crowing

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    Yikes! I hope your chicken is ok! Mine have definitely calmed down a bit over the last couple of days, although Daphne is definitely lacking some feathers now. I hope she is also molting, because if not... well, they took a lot of feathers! My pied hen was in a good mood this evening, as her flight feathers are finally coming back in. She was running about, flapping her wings, almost ready to at least get enough air to roost. I’m very relieved that things are improving as their battles had gotten scary, and separating all 3 was not logistically possible. Anyways, hoping that yours calm down soon also!

9. Miss Lydia

My hen if fine, these girls are just so grumpy at times it’s really funny. Good to hear your girls have settled down.

10. Raenh

Raenh Free Ranging

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    Mine just finished molting, and I think they are forgetting I'm mama not a drake - beedee is getting mad at me, and speedy won't let her near me though tolerates sugar cuddling up to me. I keep having to tell speedy to be nice, and you can tell she doesn't wanna listen cause she does those mad/annoyed/angry duck shakes... :eek::love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: