Female parakeet that "sings" constantly??

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
I have a recently acquired(10 wks ago) 1 yo female keet and a male keet that I also acquired shortly before HER and I always thought it was the males that made silly noises constantly. have never had a female parakeet that made this much noise. she does various sounds while just perched there and she doesn't appear to be flirting(whatever THAT would look like) I know shes happy just wonder what all of these tweets,chirtle,kisses,trills,squawks(am listening to her now and trying to describe the sounds!)mean. Am not going to let any eggs hatch but they don't know that!

while in most bird species youll find the male to be "louder" in keets they all tend to be chatter boxes lol a chattery bird is a happy bird
smile.png

in terms of laying, if she lays take the egg and shake it then put it back in the nest...make sure you do this pretty much within days of laying and shake it well! (your essentially scrambling it)
if you remove her eggs shell simply keep laying which can cause calcium deficiencies and egg binding, but if you leave them shell sit for a while then abandon them when they dont hatch.

if you dont want scrambled eggs witting in the nest you can get dummy eggs but make sure they are the right size and color.
keets can be quite prolific lol

Last edited:
thanks- You know... I knew about shaking eggs, is it called addeling?(for the TOO many wild geese around my pond) but for some reason I didn't apply that thought to the keet eggs. duh. fortunately I adore her noise-just wondered why SHE is singing so much and the male just chirps. maybe he's bored?

it could be that hes bored, it could be that he feels no need to woo her, he could also just be a quiet keet...

i have lineolated parakeets (a south american cousin to the aussie keets) and my female is MUCH more chattery than my male, i think its like with people, some are just more talkative than others lol

I had a female cockatiel once that outsang even the best male! The breeder even thought it would turn out to be a male since she had always been chatty. :0)

My female parakeet sings and trills and calls to the birds outside all day long. She actually makes more noise and more pleasant noise than her mate. The male ONLY mimics what he hears my parrot saying. So anytime the parrot says anything there is an echo from across the room from Mr. Jabber.

Quote:
no! never shake an egg babie can still hatch but they come out deformed, what you do is boil the egg, hard biold egg will last basicly untill she abondons them...wait 1-2 weeks after she has lost intreast then take them out

Back
Top Bottom