female pekin being bullied

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 3birdies71, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 3birdies71

3birdies71 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Manchester, NH
    Hi,
    Just joined this after reading some posts. We have 3 pekin ducks-2 drakes and 1 female. DOB-May 2013. The female started laying eggs a week ago. Our female, Lady, is looking pretty roughed up. She has a scab on the back of her neck and dirty matted feathers. She may have been pecked in the eye but the damage seems minimal at this time. We keep them in a 5-by-5 (approx) shed at night to protect from predators. They stick together when they are out in the yard. I am assuming her appearance is due to the drakes mounting her. Is there a chance the drakes may kill her? Would separating them temporarily fix this?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    You have one drake too many. If both try to breed in a pool, they may very well drown her. Gang breeding her may very well result in physical injury. I would suggest separating them immediately, but that is only a temporary situation. Breeding drakes can be very aggressive.

2 people like this.
  3. 3birdies71

3birdies71 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Manchester, NH
    Thank you for your response! :)

4. 3birdies71

3birdies71 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Manchester, NH
    We have separated Lady-let her bathe in our bathtub and she is recoup in our basement (Duck Dayspa). She has cleaned herself up and looks a lot better. There was some pecking at one of her eyes-featherless around the eye and clear bubbles coming from the tear duct. Hopefully this will clear up with no complications.

We have someone picking up one of our drake's tomorrow to befriend her lonely female.

Thank you for the advice.
    3birdie

5. leanback

leanback Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    Ducks Laying eggs In the winter, I didn't know?

I feel for you I have seen ...... too often I received so much help and information here at BYC awesome website.

6. 3birdies71

3birdies71 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Manchester, NH
    I felt bad for the ducks (Cold winter in NH) and put a heating lamp in there shed for night time warmth. Lady's egg laying is most likely due to extended hours of light from the heating lamp. My husband found information about ducks laying eggs on the web.

I am thinking we may put some neosporin on her eye. I just finished reading threads about eye infections in chickens and it has me a little freaked out! [​IMG] Since I know she was picked on by our two drakes I am pretty sure her bubbly eye is the result of an injury not an infection.

I would love advice from anyone who has experience with ducks.[​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you get some un pasterized Apple Cider Vinegar, most grocery stores carry it now, put some into her water 1-2 tab to 1 gallon of water she will wash her face with it and also drink it it is good for healing and also used as a tonic, Most likely you are right and it's an injury but the ACV will help. go ahead and use the neo around her eye tonight Please let us know how she is doing. http://keeping-chickens.me.uk/what-to-keep-in-stock/apple-cider-vinegar

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  8. 3birdies71

3birdies71 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Manchester, NH
    Thank you for the advice. [​IMG] We applied the neosporin-eye looks a little better! We will get the ACV tomorrow. We'll let you know how she does.
    3birdies

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

10. 3birdies71

3birdies71 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Manchester, NH
    Miss Lydia,
    We gave lady undpasturized ACV in her water...She LOVES it. Playing in the water. I have been dropping peas in the water dish so she dunks her head under to get them. :)
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by