female pekin duck cant walk or get up, fluidy lump on wing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jholtz3944, Jul 4, 2016.

1. jholtz3944

jholtz3944 Just Hatched

Jul 3, 2016
    Delmont pa
    i really need some true helpful into about my female duck that was said to be pekin, 3 months old. anyways, she was limping on one leg for a week and now cannot get up and walk at all. she will eat worms that i find and blackberries, but will not eat the normal dumor duck grit feed. she gets chills after i place her in the water, and shes not really swimming right either, she was drowning in the pond and i took her out. i felt around on her and found a squishy lump about the size of a quarter on top of her wing. it seems to be filled with fluid. i have 2 male ducks and the one keeps biting down on her and trying to mate with her, and i think this might be a wound from the male duck but i dont know. i put coconut oil on the lump. my heart aches for her, please help. please see attached pictures(sorry if its gross). thanks any help needed[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Is there anyway you can take her to a vet? The male duck may have injured her back while trying to mate and caused her leg problems. I've never seen a lump like that. I would keep her away from the other ducks and let her get some rest and I would put some neosporin without the pain relief on the lump on her back. I'm only guessing here but I think she needs some expert advice. I hope and pray she gets better.

@Amiga

3. jholtz3944

jholtz3944 Just Hatched

Jul 3, 2016
    Delmont pa
    Thanks for your info. I would love to take her to a vet but don't have that kind of money for it. Yeah she's depressed and had a tear come out her eye this morning like she was really sad

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She needs to be away from the drakes until further notice.

She may have internal injuries, and be traumatized from the overmating.

I would put an epsom salt compress on the lump three times a day, try to treat it that way.

I would let her float in a tub of lukewarm water for 20 minutes at a time at least once a day to get weight off her legs and help her relax.

Give her a safe place with clean bedding, food and water. Offer her treats as you have been doing, I would see if she'll take a few tablespoons of dry cat kibble. I would put vitamins in her water twice a week.

After a few days, see how she's doing - rest may help her recover. Please keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  5. jholtz3944

jholtz3944 Just Hatched

Jul 3, 2016
    Delmont pa
    Thanks so much I will try that! Appreciate your feedback

6. jholtz3944

jholtz3944 Just Hatched

Jul 3, 2016
    Delmont pa
    Just found that she has 2 sorea, now these are def from the male being so agressive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would:

Clip the feathers to half an inch at the edges of the wounds
    Keep her in away from flies
    Spray 4 times a day with saline solution or veyericyn
    Dab antibiotic ointment without painkiller on them at night

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Those look like Abcesses. Put hot compresses on to bring the puss to the surface and puncture the boil with a large needle. Squeeze out the puss and keep area dry and clean. Keep her away from the Drakes.

Good luck

9. jholtz3944

jholtz3944 Just Hatched

Jul 3, 2016
    Delmont pa
    Someone elsewhere told me to buy an antibiotic, pictured below, tetroxy, but I have no idea how to figure out how much to put in water for a 5 lb duck. Any ideas?[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I would only use the hot water with maybe some course salt in it and let it drain out. Keep it dry and it will heal.
    I never use antibiotics. Birds are pretty tough and heal fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by