Female pekin duck has discharge under eye i think, pictures uploaded? help please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ica94, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Ica94

Ica94 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Hello everyone,
    I have a 7 month old female pekin duck named juliet. Today i saw her eyes and they seemed puffy at first. I looked closer and saw her under eye has clear discharge. But it looks like her lid is puffy. I had her rinse her self in clean, warmwater and tried to remove the stuff but its still there. Any advice? Any one had this problem? I hope my baby is ok :( also she is still eating and drinking and playing with her duck friends.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Ica94

Ica94 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. RavenClawPekin6

RavenClawPekin6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    Kilkenny, Ireland
    Sometimes rough mating will result in bubbling around the eyes, since the drake grabs the back of the female’s neck where her sinuses are located. Saline rinses can help clear this up as can access to a clean pool or tub of water. Ammonia buildup as well as dust can also cause eye irritations so clean straw or rice hull bedding in the duck house is important.

2 people like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have a bit of infection there, from any of the reasons listed by RavenClawPekin6.

There are antibiotic eye ointments, there's also Vetericyn eye gel. Adding a little bit of apple cider vinegar to her water is a tonic and also a mild antibacterial.

Even a mild saline solution rinse, four times a day may clear that up. I would want to start a.s.a.p. to prevent further problems.

And see if you can sort out what is causing the initial irritation, and manage that. She may need some time out from a drake, the bedding may need to be changed, an irritant may need to be removed.

She is lovely.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ica94

Ica94 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    It actually went away the same day I took the pic! I think it might be the drakes doing. But she is better now and still her usual self :) if it happens again I'll defiantly get the vetericyn...heard alot of good things from that. But I gave her a warm bath and she got to spend the morning with momma [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by