Female pekin duck is bleeding !

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mynewbabies, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mynewbabies

mynewbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    Daffy just started laying eggs , and now she is bleeding from her anus area, I separated her from the flock put her in with call ducks for now . What could this mean? The drakes have been really keeping her busy!! I am worried something is terribly wrong and don't know what to do for her.
    I need help please.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is anything hanging out of her vent? you need to bring her inside put her in the bath tub and let her clean up then get a good look at what's going on. If it's a prolaspe then it needs to be tended to.
    .Might help to read this... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738201/goose-what-is-this-how-did-it-happen-what-do-i-do-about-it

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    I checked her vent it is good, and quit bleeding, crazy hens were pecking her there don't know why
    But seems find now. I probably will have to seperate them permanently. Don't want this to continue
    ? Thanks for the links I sure do appreciate it.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    In case this happens again and to keep the others from peeking at it buy some Blue Kote and spray the area. it will disguise and red which is what they are drawn too. Glad to hear she is okay. Sometimes when drakes out number ducks this can happen over mating.

5. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    I wasn't sure what it was but figured it was something to do with the 3 drakes, we have 5 girls, daffy is the oldest and they love to mate with her.
    Can I get the spray at TSC ? Is it good for all parts that bleed due to pecking? Still thinking I should seperate them from the chickens.
    I will go today, you have been a great help, thanks a bunch !!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes TSC carries it, only place can't spray is the face I use q tip or cotton ball for face area. Your ratio is off drakes need at least 3-4 ducks to keep them happy this is each, or someone is going to get over mated like you are seeing with Daffy, I do have 2 drakes with 2 ducks each but there are other ducks in the mix also so no one gets over mated. And I don't know if your aware of this but drakes will try to mate with chicken also and it can mean death for the hen, they are not made to mate.
    Hope she is doing better today.

7. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    Yes I did find the stuff and she is much better, I put her back in, she is laying again, we are going to seperate the flock , I may try to get a few mor
    Females. Thanks for all your help.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yay glad to hear she is so improved that she is laying again.. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by