Female Pekin looks rough

alishaluvsducks

Hatching
Apr 6, 2016
Michigan
I picked these ducks up 4 days ago. I cant help but wonder why the female looks really rough. She loos like she has feathers missing and her feathers always look wet and dirty or stained. She did lay an egg today and otherwise seems normal. I am new to ducks so I have no idea and found no info on the internet. Is this molting?

It doesn't look like molting to me. It looks like a preening problem, maybe a clogged preening glad. I remember reading something about treatment in Storey's guide for ducks. Let me go take a look.

Chronic wet feathers are covered on page 277 of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. Dave Holderread says to check for mites, which can cause the problem, or possibly a plugged or infected preening gland. If it is the preening gland, he says to massage it a few times a day, apply a warm compress and/or possibly provide a course of antibiotics.

Since you just picked them up, here are some possibilities in her former home.

Overmating by drakes
Nutritional deficiency - some ducks just need more than what they are getting, whether it's protein, vitamins or minerals
Lack of swim / bath opportunities. When I write bath, I don't mean with soap, just with fresh water

So, if there is a drake, you may want to separate them for a few days to see, and let her have tub time as much as possible, and give her a high quality food, with an extra tablespoon of good quality cat kibble for some extra protein and vitamins for a while - maybe add some poultry vitamins to their water.

Damaged feathers will eventually be replaced, and if you give her a healthy environment, the new feathers should be good.

It is, as already mentioned, a good idea to check her preen gland as well.

There is some possibility she may have an infection that is affecting her overall health. So just keep an eye on her. You may want to have fecal tests done to check for parasites.

Everyone has pretty much given you all the suggestions i have for it, generally Pekin have very white and very waterproof feathers. What kind of set up did they come from? were there many males?? Because of the condition of the other birds i tend to think it's not diet, or parasites(of coarse check for those too) this seems to be only her issue.

There were multiple drakes where she came from. The lady only kept pairs

I see well he may of been a bit to 'in love' with her... With ducks it's better to have several ducks per drakes vs pairs, i mean i have a few birds that pair off but the flocks free range so are capable of leaving a demanding male.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom