Female peking barely able to walk.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellilauryn, Apr 4, 2016.

1. kellilauryn

kellilauryn New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    Jacksonville, AL
    I have a female peking duck (Millie) that I have had for 6 months now. I had two, but we lost one New Year's Eve when the neighbor's dogs attacked them. Since then Millie has had a slight limp with her right leg, but otherwise got around normal and continued with her duck business. I've noticed her walking seem a little more challenging the past couple weeks. This week however, her walking has drastically changed and she's using her wings to balance before she falls down. I checked her right foot and she has a lump on her middle toe? but her foot isn't swollen and the lump isn't warm. Now she's barely walking at all. She leaves her pen during the day just to sit right outside of it and forage. She's eating and drinking, but barely makes it a couple steps before she falls. She swims fine and bathes herself whenever I put her in her big pool. I was thinking it was bumble foot but wasn't sure since the foot isn't swollen and the lump isn't warm. Any ideas,suggestions, feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

3. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    How is she?

4. kellilauryn

kellilauryn New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    Jacksonville, AL
    Sorry I haven't been able to reply! I actually ended up troubleshooting with my vet when we took our shepherd for a checkup and he believes she may have broken her toe the night the dogs attacked them. He said that it takes them 6-8 months to heal and that I should see an improvement in the next month or so. She's walking more lately but still wobbly.

5. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    That's great![​IMG]
    I can't wait to hear how she does! [​IMG]

6. kellilauryn

kellilauryn New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    Jacksonville, AL
    So what I assumed to be better has gotten worse. She was walking better and free ranging more, but now when she walks she's using her good wing to balance and will fall down if she goes too fast. She swims fine in her pool and seems like she feels well enough to pick on my other duck, but only in the pool. Also, she's started having to put her head against something whenever she lays down.This is a new behavior. She's not free ranging during the day anymore. She walks out of the pen and swims for a bit then hobbles to a shady spot where she will lay until bedtime. Her toe is still hard and not squishy like I've heard bumble foot would be like.

7. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    Can you take her back to your vet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by