Female Pheasant With Spurs or Male Pheasant Laying Eggs?

toptom

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 5, 2014
Hello!

I currently have 3 ringneck pheasants (1 melanistic rooster and 2 common). I was surprised when I checked earlier that one of the common pheasants laid an egg earlier. I always thought it's a male cause it has spurs, the other one don't have (which I thought is a female). Can female pheasants have spurs? Or can male pheasants lay eggs? I believe male pheasants do not lay eggs, but what do you guys think?

Age is 10 months old.

Last edited:
Female ring-necked pheasants can have spurs but it's not perdominate. Usually occurs as they get older. So no, it's not a male...nothing to worry about.

I see.... I really thought it was a male as the spurs are big. My relatives were kiddin me that this one is a homo...

I see.... I really thought it was a male as the spurs are big. My relatives were kiddin me that this one is a homo...
I've never seen a ring- necked roo that was a homo!!! but they can get a little over sexed!!! lol, not many hens develop spurs but it does happen...I've had a hand full of them develop spurs, usually it's not appearant till later in their life.

They may also start to throw male colors when they get old or if there is no male present a hen may change to male coloring.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
They may also start to throw male colors when they get old or if there is no male present a hen may change to male coloring.
In N.H.,Tony.
Yeah, one i had, years ago, got yellow feathers on her crest, looked like gold flakes, not many though. And a couple of yellowish feathers on her back.

In N.H.,Tony.

Really? For all breeds?

I've never seen a ring- necked roo that was a homo!!! but they can get a little over sexed!!! lol, not many hens develop spurs but it does happen...I've had a hand full of them develop spurs, usually it's not appearant till later in their life.

Lol. Her spurs have been large since early age. How about for males, can a male pheasant grow without spurs?

Really? For all breeds?
Lol. Her spurs have been large since early age. How about for males, can a male pheasant grow without spurs?
Though i have never seen a ring-necked roo without spurs, i would guess that it is possible for a roo not to have spurs...some malign gene? The reason for spurs in male pheasants is a secondary defense, main defense is flight. Also the females judge the roo's dominance (eye appeal) the best donor for her offspring by the size of his spurs, at least in wild populations...not so much in confined birds.

Last edited:
I see. Would female RN pheasants fight? I know it happens to chickens but have never seen it happen to RN hens.

I added yesterday that spurred hen to the pair that I kept for breeding since 1 week already. When I came home this afternoon and I found that the other hen seemed weak, cannot walk, toes (or fist) closed, not eating. It breathes fast like it's about to lay, but I doubt that. Eyes wide clear open when I lift it, but shuts when I put it down. Size of the pen is 4 sq m.

Or... is it the roo/cock being aggressive?

I separated her and there she is lying on the cage. I hope it's not gonna die!

If you add a new hen to an established pen they will fight,even the male will go after ANY new bird in his pen.Yes even if it's a hen for him.
Could she have hit her head on the top of the cage?
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom