Female Polish had her feathers plucked from her head!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by askjcm2005, Sep 8, 2010.

1. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    About 3 months ago we got some chicks from a lady who needed to get rid of a bunch of chicks. They were Polish, Silkies, and a few others. We took about 10 including 1 little female polish that had recently had all the feathers plucked out the back of her head which were starting to grow back again. Her feathers were grown back in no time at our house and everyone has been fine for months.

3 nights ago I went up and locked them all up as I normally do. All of the bigger chickens roost up in the tree but the smaller ones I lock up. The older only known Rooster on the property wasn’t roosting so I locked him in the larger house and all the smaller chickens were in the small house. I let them out in the morning and the poor female Polish we got months ago, the back of her head was covered in blood and was completely bald!!! [​IMG] It looked sooo bad, with just tiny hole where the feathers used to be. I was sooooo sad and wanted to cry, poor little girl!! I took her down to my house and put her in a rabbit cage we have, shes been in there for 2 days now and she is very happy in there. I sprayed some product we have from the feedstore called Vetericyn, it treats many many infections, wounds, etc… She didn’t even budge when I prayed it on her head. I put a little baby silkie in with her to keep her company and she seems to be doing fine but now I am scared to put her back outside ever again once she has healed. I have no idea who could have done it, there was no bigger chickens in with her, the large rooster wasn’t in with her, there is only smaller chickens then her in there. 1 other polish who may or may not be a boy is my only guess although I have never seen him act mean to any of them… All the other chickens that are with her are silkies and are ½ her size or smaller…

Why after 3 months of having her would 1 of my chickens do the same thing that happened to her before we got her? Could it be because she is kinda shy and more laid back and mellow, kinda sticks to herself… Would another female do that to her? Is it most likely the other Polish since its possibly a boy? And if so, is a Rooster going to do that to her again, maybe while trying to breed? I had planned on breeding the Polish but not if they are going to that to her every time!!

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a Polish rooster (see him in my avatar?) who came with my order of day old chicks and was raised with them, and at some point the hens began doing the same thing to him, picking at his head until he was bald and bloody. He was the only rooster I had, and it did usually happen between dusk and the time that I let them out of the coop in the am, and I have a BIG coop with plenty of room. I tried a lot of different approaches - Rooster Booster, purple wound spray, pine tar (yuck), tying his top feathers into a little top-knot, but nothing really worked - it seemed like they just got more determined. It was really frustrating and painful to see. The hens didn't otherwise pick on him, and he had "close" relationships with many of them. I learned on this site that it's not uncommon at all to have this problem with Polish chickens in a mixed flock. You might do best to keep her and her Silkie buddy separated - it will save you a lot of worry and frustration.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes I see him in the Avatar. Very cute! I love Polish!! That’s so much for the info, I thought the other polish in there was a male since the other night this happened but now I have hope it is a female possibly. I feel bad for the girl that got plucked because she cant even see to defend herself, the feathers cover her eyes too, I need to figure out how to trim them safely. We have a really big golden laced polish who is fine and has never been picked on since we had him from a few days old. I hope the other 2 polish I still have up there don’t get the same thing don’t to them. I will just have to make a new pen soon and split them up. I am probably going to also build something down closer to my house for all my favorites and keep her in there, for now she is content in the rabbit cage, she makes these little cooing noises and chirps a little when we walk by… Thanks again for the info!!

4. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    I find I can't free range polish because if the crest ever gets wet, then other chickens will peck at it. Once they start it's hard to stop. If the crest are always dry it's better.

I just get a pair of scissor and trim back the part of the crest that covers the eyes. If they can't see they can't eat and can get sick. If I intend to show a polish, I tie the crest up out of the way with either a hair band or a piece of masking tape that will come off later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by