female quail can't stand on her legs

tvaso

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
undecided.gif
I have a female quail, suddenly she can't stand on her legs. She is eating..and drinking water. I don't know what to do to help the bird.
Should i give her vitamins? for birds?
Can anyone suggest anything?
Thank you!!!!

0.jpg

Try to PM TwoCrows to see if she can help you with this. Personally I would euthanize that bird if you can't take it to a vet asap, i grew up on a farm and thats a lot more suffering than I'm programmed to tolerate.

Hi there and welcome to BYC!

I always hate to see birds suffer like this. I doubt this is Mareks disease, as this causes paralysis in poultry, but it comes on slowly. I would start by giving her an overall exam to rule out ANYthing that might cause this thrashing.

I am guessing she hit her head on the ceiling of her cage and has damaged her brain. This is common with caged or penned quail, flushing up and boinking the head. Many times it is not this severe and they can recover after a lot of TLC. But this bird may not survive long enough to recuperate. No amount of vitamins will help this bird if she stays in this condition.

Another thing can causes paralysis is rotten or moldy feed. But this does not look like paralysis to me.

I am stuck on the possibility she hit her head and has brain swelling as the actions of your bird is what happens with brain swelling.

I personally would probably put this bird down. I have saved birds that have hit their heads on the ceiling, but never where they this bad. If you are unable to do it, you can take her to a vet and have them put her down.

If you hold her, does she relax at all? If she does, I would wrap her in a towel to keep her from thrashing around as she may injure herself internally. Let her calm down for a while to help her heal. After 15 mins or so, then, get her under a heat lamp. About 85 degree heat. The heat will help with the circulation in the brain. Put 3/4 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a 1 quart waterer, fill with water. Dip her beak in the water as she will be unable to drink in this condition. The ACV will work to reduce inflammation. You will need to dip her beak every hour to keep her hydrated. Don't worry about food at this point. If you can get her into tomorrow, she may start to relax these spasms.

Keep us posted. If she does not respond to heat after 24 hours, you should consider putting her down. I am so sorry.

Thank you...

Well, when i hold her, she relaxes and eats from my hand and drinks water as well (i give her with a syringe).

what is ACV?

I will take her in the towel as you said.
Thank you
sad.png

AVC is apple cider vinegar. You can either get filtered from a health food store, or the stuff off the grocery store shelf. It will work fine. It will help with the brain swelling.

Good that she will eat and drink if you hold her still. Does she constantly thrash around when you put her down? That is why I suggested the towel. If she will stay calm sometimes, then the towel is not necessary. But many times they will continue to thrash in this condition, so I was thinking the toweling will give her a break and calm her down.

And get her under heat. The heat will heal her faster than anything, if she can heal. She may, I don't know.

Keep us posted.

I' m following your advice, hoping she gets better.
Last night and this morning i gave her with a syringe antibiotic and vitamins. When she falls down, she tries to stand up, she seems weak to do that. But when i hold her in my hands or just help her in the cage to stand up she eats and drinks.
Tomorrow we'll go to the vet..to see what else we can do.
Thank you a lot!!!!!

what happened for that quail? I just got one with same issue yesterday, looks neck can move, and can eat and drink, rest of the body looks paralysis-ed, but legs can push him away even cant stand up

You will not get an answer to this.

The tread is 6 years old and the thread-opener only posted these 3 posts in this thread. Not active at all.

what happened for that quail? I just got one with same issue yesterday, looks neck can move, and can eat and drink, rest of the body looks paralysis-ed, but legs can push him away even cant stand up
Welcome to BYC! @Fenrisulfr is right, though. You're not going to find out what happened to the original bird. Can you post pictures of yours and your setup?

Back
Top Bottom