Female quail is incessantly crowing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ali15, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ali15

ali15 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    Adelaide
    Hi guys. I've got a young girl about 5 weeks and she is constantly crowing. Yes I'm certain it's a girl. She's an inside bird and I live very close to my neighbours (we share a wall) and I'm worried that my little girl is disturbing them. She crows at sunrise and all through the day. Does any one have any ideas to make her be a little more quiet? (don't suggest the freezer)if I can't get her to be quieter I'll have to rehome her.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    What breed are we talking about? If she is living alone, I assume she is calling for other quail - get her a friend and she should calm down.

3. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    I've personally never heard a female quail crow, that said, I've heard them Call really load. But never crow.

4. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Yeah, they are social birds and need a covey.

5. ali15

ali15 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    Adelaide
    She's a coturnix.

6. ali15

ali15 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    Adelaide
    I've searched a roo crowing on YouTube and she sounds just like it

7. ali15

ali15 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    Adelaide
    I'll try and get her a friend and see how she goes.

8. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Since your quail is a coturnix please get another hen as a companion. Males need more than one hen or he will breed her to death, and ideally it should be 4-7 hens. If you get another hen and your original hen tried to mate with it then indeed you had a rooster not a hen. In that case you will be stuck getting more hens or your original quail will breed the new hen to death. I've never had a quail hen that crowed, so please make sure you do have a hen before getting a companion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by