Female Rouen and male mallard mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jodigirl, Aug 8, 2014.

1. jodigirl

jodigirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    My female Rouen so wants babies, but every time she sets on a clutch from mating with our male mallard, no babies result. Is it possible that the eggs could ever be fertile? They mate, but he has a hatd time as she is so much bigger than him. It breaks my heart that she sets for 28 days and the eggs slowly rot. She is 18 days in and down to 8 eggs cause she kicks them out if they are bad. I soooo want her to have at least one baby cause she tries so hard to be a mom! Any knowledge I would appreciate! Thanks inĀ advance!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How old are both of the birds? There is no reason the two can't produce fertile eggs at some point. Are they mating in water or on land?

3. jodigirl

Aug 8, 2014
    Thank you so much for responding! They are both one year old and they mate in the pond, but he falls off all the time. And this is only her second time setting. We had to throw out the eggs last time at like 35 days cause she wouldn't give up and they were not fertile, just rotten! This time she started with 15 eggs and keeps rolling them away. One broke and boy did it smell!

4. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a runner drake who used to mate with my muscovy ducks. Because of the differences in size, the drake would experience technical difficulties similar to the ones of your birds. If your mallard drake has the typical size for a mallard and your rouen duck is at least close to standard, she should be too large for proper mating and he too small.
    Or does he look like he could succeed while sitting on top of her?

5. jodigirl

Aug 8, 2014
    Well, I just found out today that some of the eggs arein fact fertile. The bad news is that they were cracked and rolled out of nest. She is down to six eggs. The two cracked ones died cause I guess they
    weren't fully developed yet. It is sad. If an egg is cracked, can it still go to term?

6. jodigirl

Aug 8, 2014
    I'd be happy if she hatched even one baby duck!

7. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Some people put wax or superglue on cracked eggs. I have read that they can sometimes hatch. You got nothing to loose. My WH girls set on 20 eggs and only hatched 2. They abandoned a 3rd that had piped. I took and had to help it out of the egg it was so weak and small. One of these girls abandoned her nest this again with eggs after about 3 weeks of sitting. They are in the incubator now. 2 are cracked. Good luck

8. jodigirl

Aug 8, 2014
    Oh wow. It seems so difficult! My chickens are easy..21 days and they're hatched. My Rouen almost quit today cause I guess she stepped on the egg and the baby was lying in her nest dead. My husband had to remove it and reorganize it for her. It seems like I have to supervise the ducks, cuz something is always going wrong. If she leaves her nest to take a quick swim, the chickens go in and mess with it. I'll keep trying. ...thanks!

9. jodigirl

Aug 8, 2014
    Well she was off the eggs again and the chickens went in and made a mess and it smelled real bad. It was a busted, rotten egg. Now she's down to I think 5 or 6 eggs left. Nine days to go just hoping!

10. jodigirl

Aug 8, 2014
    Just thought I should update! She had 3 ducklings but one died....but I'm still happy cause they are so cute and getting big! So a male mallard can fertilize female Rouen's eggs!! Thanks everyone...hope this helps someone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by