Female that thinks she's a rooster???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leasmom, Jul 23, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I have Golden Comets and they are very pretty but I have this one, Wilma, who stays at the top all the time and doesn't associate with the others too much, she's been bossy since we got them. The others go down into the runs and they stay down there. She's a golden comet and she's reddish brown so she's definately a girl but why is she taking on the role of a boy??? She's even tried to crow!

2. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well hens can change gender, they can't produce sperm, I don't know if they will still lay eggs when they change gender, I don't think they will but they can change the way they look and sound, completely change there look! so this hen can be thinking that there is a lack of rooster, and is getting the thought that she should take on this role to keep order in the coop!

So hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    My grandfather once told me that if you don't have Roosters, eventually a hen will start the lead as one. other than that, i don't know why she would crow.

4. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    It wasn't a real crow, it was an attempt to crow. She isn't even the biggest chicken, she just thinks she's the leader and has been that way since we got them. She was bossy them around then. She's always liked to be high and likes to be in charge but now she just stays up at the top while the rest are down at the bottom and when I was trying to give her some food, she made a type of crow-attempt. Wierd...I didn't know that some would role-reverse.

5. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I halve also read in a couple different places that if you have a flock of hens with no rooster, one hen can/will take on the role of leader and beginn to behave like a rooster. That includes crowing.

I just can't remember if they continue to lay eggs or not. But it is possible this hen will continue to crow and behave like the 'head honcho' and crow as best as she can. hehe

Edited to add that there can be a medical reason that a hen looks and behaves as a rooster. I found this on a website to share:

Most cases of spontaneous sex reversal are the result of a disease condition which has resulted in damage to the left ovary. Typically, female chickens only have one functional ovary, the left one. The right ovary and oviduct are present in the embryonic stages of all birds, but typically do not develop in chickens.

In general, spontaneous sex reversal has been described as the result of pathological conditions (e.g., ovarian cyst or tumor, diseased adrenal glands) which cause the left ovary to regress. Residual tissue in the right ovary proliferates in the absence of a functional left ovary. This regenerated right gonad is known as an ovotestis and may contain tissue characterisitics of the ovary, the testes, or both. There are reports of these ovotestes producing semen capable of fathering offspring. Most, however, will never lay an egg or sire offspring.

The "ovotestes" are steroidogenically functional and secret androgens, as well as estrogen. As a result, the bird develops male secondary characteristics. So while the bird is genotypcially female, it will be phenotypically male.

It does sound like your hen is simply taking up a lead role in the flock though.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    If there is no rooster, one steps up. Also, if there WAS a rooster, and it was removed, the hens will make sounds and calls that are rooster-like, almost like remembering him or something.

A hen will crow if there is no rooster. She is watching out for the flock and will alert them the way a rooster would. I have had hens do this, and they keep laying. Talk about dual purpose! [​IMG]

7. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Well, that explains Wilma! Thanks everyone!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by