Female turkey sitting every time I walk by

sonjap

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Parker, CO
This is my first year with turkeys. I have 3 females who are 7 months old. All are very tame and allow me to pick them up and hold them. One of them has started sitting every time I walk near her. I either pet her or pick her up and set her in my lap. I'm wondering if she is just asking for attention when she does this, or is it the beginning of the female mating behavior? I can't find much on that other than they will squat in front of the male, but she's not squatting, she's sitting all the way down. Just curious.

This is my first year with turkeys. I have 3 females who are 7 months old. All are very tame and allow me to pick them up and hold them. One of them has started sitting every time I walk near her. I either pet her or pick her up and set her in my lap. I'm wondering if she is just asking for attention when she does this, or is it the beginning of the female mating behavior? I can't find much on that other than they will squat in front of the male, but she's not squatting, she's sitting all the way down. Just curious.

She is exhibiting female turkey mating behavior.

Not my first time with turkeys but it is my first time having one live this this long usually predators get them by now my hen has started mothering me when I'm sick. She will find me and sit either on my lap if I'm sitting or on my chest if I'm laying down. She has a Tom so I am fairly certain that she's not exhibiting mating behavior just not sure what she's doing. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Not my first time with turkeys but it is my first time having one live this this long usually predators get them by now my hen has started mothering me when I'm sick. She will find me and sit either on my lap if I'm sitting or on my chest if I'm laying down. She has a Tom so I am fairly certain that she's not exhibiting mating behavior just not sure what she's doing. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

When a hen has become imprinted on a person, she will exhibit turkey mating behavior for the human and ignore the tom.

Ok, thanks. I have another question if that's ok. She's been checking out the hens nesting boxes a lot lately. I thought Turkeys don't lay eggs until Spring, so I haven't set one up for her size yet. Could she be getting ready to lay eggs at this time?

Ok, thanks. I have another question if that's ok. She's been checking out the hens nesting boxes a lot lately. I thought Turkeys don't lay eggs until Spring, so I haven't set one up for her size yet. Could she be getting ready to lay eggs at this time?

The weather has been unusual this year with a few people reporting that their turkey hens have started laying at 6 months. Another had her hens lay into November before stopping for weeks and now are laying again. None of my turkeys have ever laid before spring but I am farther north than you.

Yes it is possible for her to be getting ready to lay. I was surprised at how small a space a determined hen turkey can cram herself into if that is where she wants to lay an egg. The favorite nest spot of my turkeys is a pallet leaned up against a wall. It is also the easiest nest site to make.

Good luck.

S on she layer an egg! Join the growing crowd of us turkey owners who hens are laying early! My girls didn't stop until November and began laying again. I noticed your in Colorado. I'm in Tennessee and there are folks in PA & NM whose hens are also laying.

Mars (my hen) laid an egg in front of me last night. I kind of think she's been wanting me to be a part of it because the hours before she lays one she has been especially clingy.

Back
Top Bottom