Female vent and crowing?

Jmcandrew

Chirping
Mar 21, 2021
I got a new quail that is 3 months old. We have 43 total quail. She was vent checked, but she is crowing every once in a while. I have vent checked her several times since out of confusion and still a female! No bulb and no foam. What the heck?! All of my others are super obvious. Any ideas?

Attachments

• FEB4E895-1ED0-47C5-B485-D2BE6370140A.jpeg
    FEB4E895-1ED0-47C5-B485-D2BE6370140A.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 27207F1A-6146-4BD4-AAB6-4D661CD25833.jpeg
    27207F1A-6146-4BD4-AAB6-4D661CD25833.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 13
Obviously s/he‘s not feather sexable. Are there any other behavioural gender indicators? What does the crowing sound like? A video might help because females make noise too. :) I’m not trying to make assumptions about your vent sexing skills but are you pressing? At this age foam should be present so... Update us! :):)

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it! It is definitely a crow like my other boys and not the typical little female noises. Unfortunately it’s hard to get a video since I have only seen her do it 2 times and each time I picked her up and re evaluated her out of confusion. She is new to my flock as of Friday. I do know how to vent sex and have vent sexed lots of quail and currently have 43. This one is just a really strange one. I received a message back in another group that and this lady indicated that she once had a female that did this as well. She stopped when she was a little older. This one is super confusing. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I got a new quail that is 3 months old. We have 43 total quail. She was vent checked, but she is crowing every once in a while. I have vent checked her several times since out of confusion and still a female! What the heck?! Al of my others are super obvious. Any ideas?
What about other behaviours? Does s/he mate and does s/he look like a male or female doing it? Also it might be a hormonal problem or something. 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♂️
I haven’t seen any other indications of male behavior. Just the crowing

The bump on the vent might be a little deeper than the photo shows. The last one I vent sexed, I could only see the bump when he exhaled. If it's crowing I would say male, though. There's always that one you scratch your head over..

Back
Top Bottom