1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Female with male behaviour??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DrChickenKev, Mar 31, 2012.

1. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    I've noticed recently that one of our Muscovy hens is trapping another (older) hen by biting the submissive hen's head feathers and sitting on her back like a drake would to mate

Then when the submissive hen 'yields' the dominant hen starts pruning the other duck and if her target moves the dominant hen chases and pins her down again...

Anyone else seen this, I'm sure its normal, and I'm not worried, it just seemed a little strange?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes i see it quite often, I have 8 female Muscovies and they do it to one another especially this time of year. and sometimes even the drake will come over and give her the once over. but usually its just the girls.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Very common dominance behavior

4. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    Interesting...

So the younger one (Velma) is beginning to dominate the older hen (Angel)

What was also interesting this afternoon was the drake (Daffy) and Velma were chasing Angel together, it was as though Velma was chasing down Angel to say, here you are, Master [you'll need to effect your evil voice in there, sorry!] - I say strange because Angel was the original partner of Daffy and was dominant, but it seems like age is taking its course?

What else is interesting, but unsurprising, is that Angel keeps laying her eggs in different places round the garden (I let them free roam) as I try to collect the eggs regularly; so Im also thinking that I should perhaps lock her in on her own so she can settle in a safer nesting area

PS> Velma was so named as she was sister to Daffney - but SHE decided to fly off to the local farm , the little hussy...!! Sadly we havent seen her for a few months now
    [​IMG]

5. abbypeaches

abbypeaches Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2007
    Mason,MI
    I'm having the same problem with my two Pekin ducks-both hens. Now only getting one egg per day as compared to getting an egg from each Pekin hen. How can I encourage the dominant hen to start laying again?

6. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011

Do you just have the two hens, no drakes, or any other animals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by