Females beating up my male!

Punkeemizfit328

Hatching
Jul 6, 2020
Hey y'all, I joined here because I could really use some advice. This is my first year having ducks and so far it's been pretty easy. I got 4 KC campbell ducklings back in March. They're just about 4.5 months old now. I've done a lot of reading and found as they started changing that I have 3 females and a male. Females all have that slate color to their bill and flat tails, very loud and yappy. The male has the green bill, generally quiet, curly tail, raspy when he does vocalize. Seemed like things were going to be great with the genders they wound up being. In the last week the females started picking at each other a bit, esp when playing in their pool. Now the last 2 days they've gotten very aggressive towards my male. My male is the sweetest thing on the planet. He's always been so chill, always takes care of the girls, just sits there and lets them swim while he watches the chickens around the yard, first to come up to us, hes just sweet as pie. Well the girls have been biting at him, grabbing him by the neck and dragging him around and stuff. Mating behavior of a male, but they are definitely females! My poor little guy is usually very protective of his girls but for 2 days now he hides from them! He sits in the middle.if the chickens or hides under the porch from them. He's terrified! I've separated him from being able to be near them for now because I dont know what's going on and I cant stand seeing how afraid of them he is all of a sudden. Does anyone have any advice or can help explain to me if there's something I'm missing?
Also, I have 3 6-8 week old yellow ducklings that we've been letting outside for a little while.in the day to play in the pool and I've heard that the females are supposed to be super accepting of other ducks, but I cannot leave the ducklings unattended with the girls because they try to go after them too. If left alone I have no doubts my older girls would kill them. But my male just sits and watches them, has no real care that they're there.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site :wee . With the female ducks. I have herd females can be picky with males if the males don't establish dominants. I have only " herd" that because all my males are completely rude when it comes to my hens. If they're is any damage to to male I would sperate him from the females like the duckling. Just don't put the baby with the male. That would end bad for the baby. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom