Female's neck was ripped up. Could it be the male?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Heidi8888, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Heidi8888

Heidi8888 Hatching

Nov 12, 2019
    We have 3 females and one male and now we've had to isolate the male, who is crowing very loudly and the hurt female who is in our bathroom waiting to see if she makes it.

mixedUPturk likes this.
  2. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Songster

Jun 25, 2014
    Oh your poor hen,I would advise you separate the rooster from your hens immediately and cull him because I guarantee even from not seeing your birds that he is the culprit.I had the same experience and waited so I could see what was going on and just ended up having more ripped up hens.Don't do what I did and save your hen's!Trust me he will only get worse. I treated my hens with hydrogen peroxide and it completely healed.Hope your hen feels better soon!:fl

3. MotherHen75

MotherHen75 Songster

Dec 18, 2018
    South Carolina
    I know it’s hard to cull them but giving him away isn’t good for the people who take him. He will just cause more damage. Please keep us updated!

4. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    How old is the rooster, and how old are the hens? Is there any way you can increase the ratio to be closer to 10 hens to 1 rooster? Three hens are just not enough for one rooster, particularly if he's young, inexperienced and randy!

mixedUPturk likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: