Females per male?

Royac

Chirping
Apr 15, 2018
Hi Friends! This is my first year breeding pheasants. I will have several more hens, so I have a question about them.
How many females we can put to one Male? I breed golden and Reeves actually, and promptly hope to have silvers and common.
I want to have as more as possible females in one harem without damaging fertility and exceeding the males capacity.
Best, Roy

muddy75

Ready to Spring into Summer
Premium Feather Member
Aug 17, 2018
southern indiana
My Coop
My Coop
i believe 3-4 females per 1 male is good number for pheasants same as other gamebirds. I currently only have 1 pair of ringnecks and my male has not overbred the female luckily.
others with more experience may have other recommendations.

007Sean

Face it, Embrace it, Ace it, Replace it
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Oct 25, 2015
South Central Texas
I typically run 5 to 6 hens per male. Reeves and Silver males are pretty aggressive breeders, they can handle 10 hens easily but there might be a fall off in fertility at that ratio. Goldens tend to be aggressive displayers but the fertility falls off with higher numbers of hens. Some of my male Goldens favor 1 or 2 hens and don't mate as often with the other hens. I also have a couple of pens where the male mates with them all equally.

Flockincrazy

Crowing
May 23, 2020
Elyria, Ohio
Hi Friends! This is my first year breeding pheasants. I will have several more hens, so I have a question about them.
How many females we can put to one Male? I breed golden and Reeves actually, and promptly hope to have silvers and common.
I want to have as more as possible females in one harem without damaging fertility and exceeding the males capacity.
Best, Roy
15-17 females per male

Top Bottom