Females per male?

Royac

Chirping
Apr 15, 2018
Hi Friends! This is my first year breeding pheasants. I will have several more hens, so I have a question about them.
How many females we can put to one Male? I breed golden and Reeves actually, and promptly hope to have silvers and common.
I want to have as more as possible females in one harem without damaging fertility and exceeding the males capacity.
Best, Roy

i believe 3-4 females per 1 male is good number for pheasants same as other gamebirds. I currently only have 1 pair of ringnecks and my male has not overbred the female luckily.
others with more experience may have other recommendations.

I typically run 5 to 6 hens per male. Reeves and Silver males are pretty aggressive breeders, they can handle 10 hens easily but there might be a fall off in fertility at that ratio. Goldens tend to be aggressive displayers but the fertility falls off with higher numbers of hens. Some of my male Goldens favor 1 or 2 hens and don't mate as often with the other hens. I also have a couple of pens where the male mates with them all equally.

Hi Friends! This is my first year breeding pheasants. I will have several more hens, so I have a question about them.
How many females we can put to one Male? I breed golden and Reeves actually, and promptly hope to have silvers and common.
I want to have as more as possible females in one harem without damaging fertility and exceeding the males capacity.
Best, Roy
15-17 females per male

Back
Top Bottom