Females~

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well I currently am in a predicament.

I have 3 males and one female duck.

Obviously, I need more females.

My current female has had no luck with setting and being successful. I know she is capable of giving me beautiful ducklings, but its a long shot. She has laid over 75 eggs since july, but I only have had one duckling hatch.

I was hoping she would hatch successfully and that we could just keep her female ducklings and sell the males. But, thats not looking too good right now.

So, should I go out and buy / adopt two - three more females? Or should I just wait and separate my female and one male.

My flock is small so I know they would not enjoy this AT ALL. and I hate to stress out any animal.
    The whole problem with buying / adopting is finding females that will be sexually mature by spring or that already are sexually mature. Not many people want to give up productive females.

So... Advice?

If only I could find someone near by that would be willing to offer some females [​IMG] Breed doesnt really matter to me. the males I have are mallard, domestic bibbed mallard, and mallard / buff cross. Im just worried about my little girl being abused this coming season.

2. calmlake

calmlake Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2008
    Mt. Holly
    I would suggest searching out a poultry show/swap to find mature females if I were looking. otherwise keep the female out of the mix as much as you can in the meantime but let the boys in now and then so they dont get too frustrated.

bill
    http://mthollyducksanctuary.com

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    THANKS!That site is pretty cool. Can you adopt or is it just sponsoring? I checked it out but wasnt so sure. I live sort of far as well, darn.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  4. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear you, Goat Walker. I got 4 ducks a few months ago and wouldn't you know 3 are drakes!! I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't find anyone to rehome them to. I thought I could wait until spring to separate them and of course I was wrong! Now I have the female and one of the boys in my garage until I can figure out something else to do with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by