Fenbendazole for Guinea Fowl - Dose and Safety

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BennieAnTheJets, Apr 29, 2017.

1. BennieAnTheJets

BennieAnTheJets Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Hi you'all,

I think I got this figured out but love-love-love our Guineas and want to double check with you, just to make sure.

I will do a fecal float to see if the eggs are really there, but I am pretty sure we are dealing with Gapeworm and possibly Capillaria.

In the Exotic Animal Formulary by James W. Carpenter, it has a number of references and doses for fenbendazole for use in birds. The trick is to read it correctly. From what I understand, Gapeworm and Capillaria can be treated with 50 mg /kg of body weight for 5 days. It does not have a specific reference for Guinea fowl.

Just weighed all our Guineas yesterday - oh boy - they are between 1.09 and 2.35 kg - so that would be 54.5 to 117.5 mg of fenbendazole. We have the Safeguard for goats type with 100 mg/ml, so that would mean 0.545 to 1.175 ml or about 1/2 to 1.2 ml for our birds. Once a day, for 5 days in a row.

I had one bird at the vet's for loss of voice, and I think, from what I remember, she ended up getting 0.8 ml for 5 days.

So this sounds right to me.

The lightest bird would get about 1/2 ml for 5 days, our heaviest girl about 1.2 ml for 5 days.

Our vet said, he would not treat the whole flock, only symptomatic birds, because.... I don't remember - maybe he was worried about side effects?

The thing is, I have 26 Guineas and can't really tell who does not have anything. Some have it, I am pretty sure, so I was going to treat everyone.

What do you think? Does that sound reasonable? I don't want to hurt (or kill!?!) any of our birds with this. Have you had any problems with high doses of fenbendazole / Safeguard for goats at about 1 ml a day for 5 days into the beak? Especially if you treated Guineas.

Any input much appreciated!

Thanks, Bennie

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, I get kicked everytime I post this and the Only reason I post it is Because IT WORKS and My state DVM(consulting with another Vet) prescribed it when I had a necropsy done. I had a lot of chickens at that time(around 1000 in 67 different pens). I mix at a rate of 10ML per gallon, 5ml 1/2 gal, 2.5ml per quart of drinking water----no other water and no free ranging while treating. I put the safeguard in a gallon jug and fill with water(if I am mixing a gallon---for a few chickens I might mix a quart) and shake it up good. Pour into a waterer. If they need more later in the day I mix a quart say. Some pens I have to mix up 2 or 3 gallons per day. You just do not want to waste your medicine. Mix a fresh mix every morning for 3 days. Then let them go back to normal. I mix the same for 2 month old chicks as I do for 2 yr old hens. It works great! Some worry about the little settlement in the bottom of the waterer at the end of the day----never been a problem--just shake it up good when you mix. Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by