fence and flight

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by delfargo, May 26, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm planning to fence in my 25'x35' run with 5' fence. i'm not going to cover the run, as the only time they will be out in it is when i am home to keep an eye on them. in my researching of breeds i have found that many are described as "flighty". is this a reference to the fact that they can "fly" or is the term "flighty" meant to describe a "silly" or "scatter-brained" kind of "flighty"?
    does anyone have a link to a list of chicken breeds that will fly over my 5' fence?
    thanx again, oh gurus of chickendom.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think "flighty" describes their tendencies to fly.

My bantams are excellent fliers but none have shown any interest in flying out of our yard, even though they could easily clear the six foot fence. However, they have relatives that live in other places that go wandering all the time. I think in addition to breed, there's that "x" factor of individual personality. No way to plan for that, though.

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    The term "flighty" is probably referring to their temperament, although...I suppose most of the "flighty" breeds I can think of right off could probably clear a 5' fence with no problem.

Your best bet is with the heavier dual purpose breeds. Orpingtons, Australorps, Sussex...there are others, too, but I'm only on my first cup of coffee. [​IMG] My Ameraucanas and EEs would clear 5' in a heartbeat, even though they aren't "flighty" temperament-wise.

If you are concerned about them escaping, I would focus on the dual purpose breeds. I will also have only a 5' fence, but since I will always be around when they are out there (and all the property near their yard is ours), I'm not too concerned. They are all pretty docile, and I can just pop them back in . [​IMG]

Good luck and have fun with whatever birds you decide on - they are all great! [​IMG]

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It's probably going to depend on what sources you're reading. I've always seen flighty used in the context of temperament, not flying ability, and use it in that way myself but that's not to say there's no sources out there using it the other way around.

You're only planning to let them out of the coop when you're around? May I ask why? Chickens need space to move around, to scratch, to stretch and perhaps more importantly than all that they need fresh air and sunshine. Keeping them cooped up will exponentially increase their risk of illness and compound the complexity of their management and care (as well as the finances needed to provide that care) as well. I'd really, personally, recommend you provide them with both an inside and outside area that they can access at free will whether you're present or not. Whether you roof that area or not is entirely up to you.

5. delfargo

i'm afraid that if they are out all day when i'm not home, they could fly out and be attacked by the 7 cats we have, or wander off into the corn field and get lost of get into my wifes garden and eat everything she has growing, etc...
    am i worrying too much?

6. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Quote:This is a good point. I assumed you probably would already have a smaller outside area they could have free access to all day. If not, I would encourage you to consider having a possibly-covered smaller area you can turn them out in even when you are gone. That's what I do. We have a 12'x14' area that they can scratch around in every day, and then I can let them out when I'm around.

ETA - just read your last post. If you have standard-sized birds, your cats probably won't be a problem. Your wife's garden will, however. [​IMG]
    How many chickens are you thinking about having?

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

I suggest you cover your run any ways for the fact that hawks can swoop down and grab them rather or not your home and belive me Unless you get the "Heavy" Breeds you will have flight (the flying type) I stand 6 foot 1 and My new buch fly well over my head all my others are of the "Heavy"breed they don't fly up and when I pick them up they don't fly down to well either.

But flighty in this case is scatter brained it is hard to calm them down once you start them up and the squak and run around like your going to kill them they are only good for eating not breeding because they will pass that gene on.

I hope this helps and Good Luck to you

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    The cats would likely only be a problem when the birds are young, but the garden would definitely be chicken bait unless you fenced it in.

IMO, you have four options. 1) Put up a taller fence so they can't fly out 2)roof in at least a portion of the run 3) go with the current fencing plan and take your chances with them getting out, or 4) don't get chickens. The simple fact of the matter is that chickens need access to the outside more than just when you can be right there. To take them on with no intention of providing it would be irresponsible.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would go with heavier breeds...and as long as they have plenty of fresh food and water, and access to their coop, they will most likely stay inside the fence. If you're thinking that they would have to be restricted to the coop housing very much, other than night time, I would build a covered run area for them.
    Your cats will not be an issue with adult LF breeds, although they could assault them while they are little chicks.

10. delfargo

thanx for all the input. i planned to start with a dozen or so. i have 10 nest boxes so i figured 12 to 15 birds? as i said, i'm still researching breeds, so it's not like i'm in a huge hurry. regarding the taller fence that olive suggested as an option,,,how tall is tall enough? i could go taller alot easier than covering the whole run. but as far as covering is concerned, would i use some kind of netting? i'm trying to figure out where i would find a suitable material. i think i'll search the site for some pics of enclosed runs. thanx again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by