Fence for muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by triplepurpose, Oct 1, 2011.

1. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Can anyone tell me: If I'm going to built a fence to contain a mixed flock of muscovies, how high does it need to be? Obviously I would keep the wings clipped (on just one side, right?) Thanks...

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    The females can fly, the males will get too fat to fly eventually but will fly when young. I would put them in a fence that has a top covering on it to keep predators out and them in. You could keep them in a 4 ft run with a top but then it would be hard to get in there to clean it so I would probably go at least 6 ft high unless you make a moveable run.

3. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Hi I just recently clipped two of my girl muscovies wings... I found directions online https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html I actually read somewhere else to leave the first two primary flight feathers so it looks nice when their wings are folded. That was what I did but my first girl I clipped was able to fly/jump over a 3ft fence so I ended up clipping both wings leaving the first two primary flight feathers on each side. She can still flap off the ground but doesn't go anywhere. I didn't clip my boy's wings at all and so far he hasn't flown. My ducks are about 3 months old so it might be different with older birds. Hope that helps.

4. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i have four foot fences in my pens and i also clip my ducks wings. it hey want to they can still fly over the 4 feet. they sought of climb up and fly at the same time. mt drakes have flown over these too. so i would recommend atleast 5 foot and like above a roof to be sure.

5. triplepurpose

Oct 13, 2008
    Thanks for the advice, all. That does help give me an idea of their abilities...

I don't have predators here--no hawks or eagles, and no land mammals except for feral dogs and cats, so having a top on the pen is not important to me. I'd actually prefer not to have one if possible, in part because chicken wire is really expensive here nowadays. My chickens have a four foot fence and altough I keep wings clipped as a precaution, they can get over if they try really hard and realize it's possible--but not being very innovative creatures, they very rarely do. [​IMG] When they do make a habit of it, I put a little topping of chicken wire hanging over on the inside, or something else to block them, just in that one spot, and that fixes it. I haven't had a problem in a while.

I think I'll try a four foot fence with the spare chicken wire I've got, and some wing clipping, and hopefully that will be manageable...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have 2 acres and a 1/2 acre pond and my ducks seem to want to go in the road so I am putting up a 5 ft. Fence and clipping the female wings. I started the fence in Jan. Got 3/4 the way and stopped. Now they decide they want to explore and I don't want to be sued for ducks causing an accident.

7. triplepurpose

Oct 13, 2008
    A little update in case anyone reading this is interested. All the ducks are old enough to fly quite well now. They can easily clear their four foot fence, although they will stay in much of the day unless they get hungry, or during the morning and evening when they get restless. Mostly it's the ducklets, but the draklet can get out too if he wants. They can fly, or climb out by flapping and walking up the wire. I free range them a lot, so I want them to be able to fly around so they have a more natural life, but especially if they need to escape from dogs. I bought some nylon twine two inch netting on ebay for 30 bucks, and stretched across the top and secured with zip ties. Now I can let them do their thing during the day, and forage, but still contain them at night, or any other time I need to keep them closed in. It's working great, and was an easy solution!

8. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I like mine being able to fly. I think it keeps them safer when out alone, which mine are all day. Also they can climb really good. I have heard they can scale a 6 ft wood fence. I have seen a 3 day old duckiling climb out of a 3 ft deep plywood brooder.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine did it my 2 day old duckling climb out of a wooden brooder, I had to put him in a xlarge dog crate with a door to keep him in an safe.

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My coop has a 7ft fence... 3ft of wooden fencing & 4ft of chicken wire above that, I have only had 2 girls fly out of it but their wings weren't clipped at the time and they were 2 that i bought as juveniles so they didn't like people much.

I have some taller roosting "toys" in the run too and haven't had any other problems besides the 2 flighty girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by