Tags:
  1. davidinthailand

davidinthailand In the Brooder

Sep 7, 2017
    Our chicken area is secure, the chickens don't get out (I put a net over it).
    However, the neighbours also have chickens, they fly over the 5 foot wall I made and get eaten by my dogs. According to local by laws, I have to pay a fine, which I find most unfair.
    Anyway, I am going to build a fence on top of the wall, no expectation of the beloved neighbour building one, to stop this. He likes to see me losing money.
    How high? Eight feet enough. or should I go higher while I am at it?
    Thanks.

BlackHackle, chrisb01 and MROO like this.
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Whatever it takes. Try the 8 feet and see if they get over it. My Leghorns are great flyers. I had some Whie Leghorns, Houdini 1, 2 and 3. They could not be kept in. No matter what pen and coop I put them in they could find a way out. Something eventually got them. Two just disappeared and one I found some feathers behind the coops but no body.

ChickNanny13 and MROO like this.
  3. cholland

cholland Songster

Jan 17, 2017
    California
    Depends on what's on the other side of the fence. I have an EE that gets over my 7' fence. If they can get onto something that's already a few feet up, then it's not much more to get over.

ChickNanny13, chrisb01 and MROO like this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    That's too bad; your yard, chickens invading your space, and it's your fault they get killed? Not true in the USA, as far as I know.
    Some of my birds easily fly up eight feet to roost at night, so almost any fencing you put up could be inadequate.
    I haven't tried it, but if the birds are perching on the top of the fence at all, having a sagging wire up there might discourage them. Spikes? Netting?
    Good luck.
    Mary

MROO, ChickNanny13 and chrisb01 like this.
  5. MROO

MROO Crowing

If the neighbor has a pen, buy 'em a net!
    If not, get yourself one of those big, ugly golf/tennis/baseball nets to mount over your fence. They'll LOVE that!

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Do they come in orange? Purple? Could be quite a statement in the neighborhood!
    Mary

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :yuckyuck :lau

8. MROO

MROO Crowing

Orange. Purple. Green. Mustard Yellow. Get one in every color and patchwork 'em. Call it "ART," and they can't do a thing about it!

9. davidinthailand

davidinthailand In the Brooder

Sep 7, 2017
    You're right, 'sagging' is the word I suppose. I can cement the bottom of the net on to the wall.

MROO and ChickNanny13 like this.
  10. sirrobyn0

sirrobyn0 Songster

Feb 1, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm going to second the net idea. I'd doesn't have to be a golf net or anything fancy, just cheap. And some tall polls which could be 2X2's or PVC pipe or whatever you have or can get cheap. Attach the net to that and the top of your fence vertically, you could go pretty high, it would be cheap and effective.

MROO and ChickNanny13 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: