Fence height ??????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Old Whittler, Mar 13, 2012.

1. The Old Whittler

The Old Whittler Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I had chickens several years ago and let them free-range. I wasn't worried about them coming around my home at that time but this time is a different story. My wife has a bunch of flower beds and we don't want the chickens in them. I built a chicken tractor last summer and have enjoyed the chickens very much and am thinking about building a permanent coop for 50 birds. I have almost 9 acres and would like to build the new permanent coop with a fenced area for free-ranging. I'm partial to Rhode Island Reds and they're what I'm planning on having. I'm wondering if a 6 foot fence will contain them?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If they really want to they will be able to get over it. But you may or may not have a problem with it. You can always put up a vertical fence extension with some plastic netting and stakes...saw that here on BYC in a pic once. I have also seen them for sale - google cat fence.

I don't know how that would hold up with snow or long term, though.

(I used to have the Golden Sex Links which are a RIR and RI White cross and they would have stayed in with a six foot fence because they liked the garden run...they got over my 4 foot fence VERY frequently though. They did fly on up to some tall things though.) I used to put up a netting extension to keep them in, around 6 feet high.

In other words, they are capable of getting over it but are not likely to if they are satisfied with their run.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. The Old Whittler

Oct 31, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I plan on fencing off a 80' x 80' area for them to free-range in which is about 128 sq. ft. per bird. Hopefully that will make them content enough to stay inside their area. I thought that if they did start getting out I'd put a 2 ft. extension on top of the 6 ft. fence but I'd rather not have to do that.

4. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Unless you have flighty bantams, the 6 foot fence will be fine. Before the chickens are fully mature, they tend to be able to get up and out - so make sure that there's nothing they can get up on to launch themselves up and out from. But, once they are laying most hens just aren't aerodynamic enough to get out of a 6 foot fence.
    BTW, chickens don't get out because they're not content - you can have the nicest placed in the world for them, but they'll still want to wander. It's true in a chicken's mind that the grass is always greener elsewhere and there's always that road to cross...

5. The Old Whittler

Oct 31, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for your opinions. I think I'll try the 6 ft. fence and see how it works. If I have too many getting out I'll add a 2 ft. extension on top but hopefully I want have to do that. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by