Fence hight for my OEGB

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Celtic Hill, May 20, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Okay, my pen is sorounded by a 6 foot high dog pen, do i have to worrie about my hen. Do i have to worrie about her flying out of it? I just want to let her out while i do my chores and stuff.

2. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Is there anyway you could put chicken wire over the top? That way she wouldn't fly out and nothing (hawks, crows, etc,) can get to her?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would say she could, but that doesn't mean she will. Most light bodied birds can fly fairly well. My property perimeter fence is only 4ft. tall, and my chickens have never flown over it when out "free ranging." Yet my EE, when trying to avoid the rooster, flew on top of the run, which is 6ft. in height. So it's quite situational.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Ours have flown up and sat on our roof, but have never bothered to fly over our 6 foot fence. As the other poster said, an OEGB certainly can fly over a 6 foot fence quite easily. The question no one can answer for sure is whether yours will want to.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My OE roo used to fly up to my second story deck to crow his head off, but he never went over a 4 ft fence, so the answer is she could if she wanted to or was startled into flight.

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have an EE that flies over a 6 ft fence every day,its the one I have sectioned off to regrow the grass and everyday she flies into it and I have to take down some of the fencing to go in and get her(I call her numb nuts)she wants out as soon as she gets in.They are great flyers

7. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    hum, okay. She can go out side 24.7 but she has a wire floor and sides. I thought it would be nice while i do chores to let her be in the grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by