Fence hight?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JessicaR, May 10, 2011.

1. JessicaR

JessicaR New Egg

May 5, 2011
    First of all sorry if I didnt put this in the right section.

I am in the planning stages for chickens for next year. Right now, if I have figured it right, I need at least a 4x6 coop for 6 chickens. I plan on letting them free range during the day my yard is fenced in with a 4 foot high chain link fence is that going to be high enough to keep the chickens in the yard? Oh I am planning on getting Ameracaunas and maybe buff operingtons or wyandottes.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think it depends on the chicken. My yard has a 4 ft. chain link fence and a few of my chickens fly over it like it's not even there. My buff orps however never tried to cross it.

3. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    BO's will probably do fine but my wyandottes are really bad to fly. They need 6' if possible.

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    That's a "it depends" question.

1. Depends on the indivdual chicken
    2. Depends on how big the yard is.
    3. Depends on if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
    4. Depends if they want to or not.

Ameracaunas are the best flyers of the breeds you listed, they can easily clear a four foot fence, the other will too and more so as pullets then adult hens.

My yard has four foot fence and my hens rarely go over it and when they do I think it's more a "look a bar I'm going to go sit on for a while" then they fly off on the wrong side. My back yard is about a 1/2 acre so they have plenty of places to explore so they don't expend the energy to go over the fence.

5. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    all of mine can clear the fence along with my turkeys. Occasionally they will but for the most part they stay in the yard because they love me, that and I feed them well. I have a 2 ft fence around my garden and not a single bird had attempted to go over it although they can if they want.

6. JessicaR

JessicaR New Egg

May 5, 2011
    My yard is not too big I believe it is 100x50. THe neighbors beside me rarely mow their lawn, like they will mow it when the grass is about a foot high, so their more grass on their side of the yard. So I take it even if I clipp wings they wouild still be able to make it over? I really wanted some Ameracaunas but may have to settle for a different breed or just keep collecting the chickens when they leave the yard [​IMG]

7. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    clipping one set of wings is always an option..

8. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:How often do you need to do this??

9. sjmarshall87

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    I am a newbie myself.. I bought the book Raising chickens for dummies.. from what I have read in the book and on other forums similiar every 2-3 wks seems to be the average.. so there is a little "maitenance" when you come to this but its worth it if your not getting phone calls from your neighbors [​IMG]

10. sjmarshall87

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    I just reread the part in the book about trimming wings... apparently, according to the book trimming lasts longer than pulling.. By trimming the wings they wont grow back until the molt.. So however often your bird molt is how often you will have to trim..

Sorry for the incorrect information before..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by