Fence Installation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Peeps38655, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Peeps38655

Peeps38655 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    How long should it take for a professional to install 150' of 6' chicken wire with 21 4"x4"x8' fence posts and top & bottom rails made of 2"x4"x8' and one 32" walk through gate?
    I am providing all materials.

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    It's hard to say--are the fence posts T-posts or wooden posts? Are you setting in concrete? etc.

All that aside, though . . . you might want to consider a more sturdy fence than chicken wire. A raccoon can go right through that in a heartbeat. If you're going to pay to have someone install the fence, use woven wire horse fencing (2x4 openings) and be sure to add a hardware cloth apron to the bottom, going 2 feet up and 2 feet along the ground. [​IMG] This will really protect your chooks!

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Our neighbor hired a crew of four to fence 2 acres with regular welded wire dog fence and it took them over a week. That job was just installing fence posts and tacking up the welded wire fencing. Plus installing two gates. Fence posts in our area are a nighmare - we have very rocky soils.

I would think a professional with the right tools should be able to get it done in a couple of days. I hate working with chicken wire, it is not flat and stretches out of shape very easily. But 150 feet is not that much to do. How is he going to attach the chicken wire? Are you going to have him staple it on, screw it on, or use another piece of lumber to sandwich the chickenwire between?

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey neighbor, I'm in S.E. Louisiana. Got some questions for you. As the other two reply's stated. Why are you using chicken wire? Not very strong. hard to work with, etc...
    You seem to be going to alot of expense here for something that a Dashound could tear through. You are saying you are gonna set 4x4's 8' long on 8'centers, with 2x4 top and bottom rails. Correct? In concrete or just tamped dirt? Will they use a power auger to bore holes? Lot's of variables here.
    Is this a run? or Just a straight fence? Give us more. Just based on what ya gave us, I would abandon the 6' "chicken wire" , spend a few more bucks and go with same post and rail set up and use a leavier welded wire or cahin link. Lowes' or HD has 6' light gauge chain link for not much more than about 95.00 a 50' roll. ^' chicken wire gotta be 50.00 or so. You only need 3 rolls to do 150' Pay the extra for piece of mind and longevity. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.
    Erik

5. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Is your terrain flat? Do you live on the side of a stone mountain? How tall and thick are the weeds and bushes? How many trees must be removed with their roots? Are you a fastidious control freak? Are you an OCD perfectionist? There are many things that will affect how quick (or slow) a fencing job is completed. Chicken wire is like installing kite-string to keep the wolves out (or in).

6. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Quote:Hey Eric, DW and I moved from Slidell to Indiana on August 6, 2005. We had no idea that the storm was coming. Our home is completely gone now. We lived on Carr Dr. right on the lake.

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    wow, have many bud's on Carr. have bud's in Evansville, Degonia Springs, Indy, etc.... Small world. Hey, shoot me an e-mail, I'll send ya my personal e-mail and a number and lets talk about your fence issue. Am FF and Contractor....can possible give ya some ideas.
    Erik

8. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    hello,

I am a professional fence installer. I am a bit out of range of ms though, but i will give a few tips.
    The time it should take depends on the weather, tools the contractor owns, and how busy the contractor is. I would expect the posts to be set in concrete in one day.
    Most likely the contractor will wait a day or two for the concrete to harden, (while working on another project). Again it should only take one more day to install 150 feet of this type of fence.
    Most fencing contractors do not like to use materials bought by the customer, so a few contractors will not be interested.
    Any good fencing contractor will be at least 2-3 weeks getting to your project. So i figure it should take no more than 2 -3 days of actually working on your project, if conditions are normal.

The best thing you could do is have them to build a chainlink fence, the cover it with the chicken wire.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

At least go livestock fence instead of chicken wire.

10. Peeps38655

Peeps38655 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    It is just to keep them in a fairly open area until they learn where home is. Their coop is inside an actual building and they should be safe from critters there.
    They are setting the wooden posts in concrete and we have very few rocks on trimmed lawn no trees to move thank goodness. The contractor is a contractor from work and I scheduled it out a month ago.
    That is why he is letting me buy the supplies myself from his vendor. Everyone around here uses chicken wire for their runs and don't have problems, so I figured why go to the extra expense when nobody else is and nobody is having problems. If I weren't running a business out of my home I would just let them free range, I just can't have my customers walking through chicken poop to come into the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by