Fence Reinforcements?

chickengoober

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Belton, TX
So, the coop is nearly ready for the chickens. There are just a few more little details to be dealt with, the fence issue being one of them. We've got a dog kennel to serve as the run but, because our area is pretty critter heavy we'll need to reinforce the bottom (extra protection against them diggin' varmint
tongue.png
). The ground is so compact, it compares to concrete. Any clever ideas to outmsart the predetors??

BTW we were thinking about outlining the kennel with concrete blocks, but other than that I have no idea
hu.gif

96363_100_1126.jpg

use some 36" hardware cloth 1/2 " around the bottom leaving about 8-10 inches for a skirt , attach the mesh to the fence you done no diggers can get in
smile.png

It looks like a very nice place to be a chicken. You might consider some sort of "skirt" of hardware cloth attached to coming out from the bottom of the kennel/run. The theory is that a digging predator will dig at the fence line and when they hit the hardware cloth they get frustrated and stop. While it is possible for them to back off several feet and tunnel under the hardware cloth, they can't quite figure that out.

Also, your run won't protect against climbing predators (think raccoon or weasel) or flying predators (think hawk or owl).

It looks like a very nice place to be a chicken. You might consider some sort of "skirt" of hardware cloth attached to coming out from the bottom of the kennel/run. The theory is that a digging predator will dig at the fence line and when they hit the hardware cloth they get frustrated and stop. While it is possible for them to back off several feet and tunnel under the hardware cloth, they can't quite figure that out.

Also, your run won't protect against climbing predators (think raccoon or weasel) or flying predators (think hawk or owl).

We plan on putting some hardwire cloth over the top so no worries there
smile.png

This 'skirt' you're talking about, would that be above or below ground (I guess it would work either way) I dread the idea of trying to attack that cement slab of a backyard
hmm.png

Last edited:
I had some old hog panels laying around. The kind that are 16'xabout 42" high. They are made out of steel rod that is about 3/16" in dia. and the spaces are about 4" x 6" at the top and decrease to about 2" x 6". I used a cut off wheel and cut them into 2' wide sections. I then layed them flat on the ground running lengthwise under my fence with about 1/3 on the inside and the other 2/3rds laying outside the fence. I secured them to the bottom of the fence with hog rings. My fence is field fence with a heavy gauge wire like they use on the bottom of commercial chainlink fencing stretched super tight. Ain't no way they can come under. It's also easy to mow over because it doesn't curl at all.

How close are those trees/bushes to the pen? Can racoons get in from the branches? Might want to put a little chicken wire around the bottom so your chickens don't stick their heads through and loose them. They're not real bright.

You can also try some of those 3x5 landscape timbers that are round on 2 sides. Drill 3/8" holes in 3 places along the 8' length and use a 3 lb sledge to drive some 2' rebars through them into the ground. It wouldn't cost anymore than the concrete blocks. Between that and the hard ground it would discourage just about any predator. As long as you don't leave your chickens out overnight you should be okay. If they're not locked up a predator might go rent a bulldozer and dig in.
smile.png

Last edited:
above ground . I started at 8" then worked my way up from the ground , then attach to your run . you kinda toe it in toward the fence forming a skirt . I have some pretty heavy rocks laying on my skirt just to frustrate them even more. But it has worked so far . I hated the thought of all that digging. Same kind of ground here. You end up with about 24 " up the run for protection while in the run.

Last edited:
Quote:
We plan on putting some hardwire cloth over the top so no worries there
smile.png

This 'skirt' you're talking about, would that be above or below ground (I guess it would work either way) I dread the idea of trying to attack that cement slab of a backyard
hmm.png

Somebody on here had the same dilema, I wish I could remember who it was. She attached the hardware cloth to the fence and folded it out on the ground, laying it on top of the hard dirt, then held it down with big rocks and bricks. She painted some of the rocks to look like bugs and filled the holes in the bricks with plants so it was more attractive.

Looks like you have a nice coop, good luck.

Good luck,

The only chickens I have lost to hawks or eagles have been out in the open, when they were free ranging, where they can swoop down. Your run is much to small for them to do that. Also you have the advantage or a forest canopy cover which makes it harder for them to recon the area. Nice coop by the way.

Back
Top Bottom