Fence suggestion

ukrkoz

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
I am planning on fencing approximately 130 by 50 area of my backyard, to contain chickens, so that they do NOT eat on vegetable beds. (they are great farmers otherwise)

My dilemma is this:

We had plastic netting chewed through by unknown animals. Possibly squirrels. Metal mesh is simply too expensive for the project. I am fully fenced chain link on all 3 corners of the project and only need to run 130f long fence with gate run to close it.
Chain link is also very expensive to use plus, tree rats will get through links anyway.

I am open to suggestions on something rather not very expensive that will actually hold those small critters at bay. I am planning on 6 f tall posts, to match overall fence height.

Ideas?

Last edited:
I am planning on fencing approximately 130 by 50 area of my backyard, to contain chickens, so that they do eat on vegetable beds.

My dilemma is this:

We had plastic netting chewed through by unknown animals. Possibly squirrels. Metal mesh is simply too expensive for the project. I am fully fenced chain link on all 3 corners of the project and only need to run 130f long fence with gate run to close it.
Chain link is also very expensive to use plus, tree rats will get through links anyway.

I am open to suggestions on something rather not very expensive that will actually hold those small critters at bay. I am planning on 6 f tall posts, to match overall fence height.

Ideas?
I assume you meant........ 'so they do NOT eat vegetable beds'?

Chicken wire and Tposts will probably be the cheapest to contain chickens... no guarantee they won't fly over a 6 foot fence tho.

Yes, silly me. Of course

No, chicken wire is too expensive. But I think I found solution.
It's called Deer Fence.

http://www.deerbusters.com/metal-de...e/6-x-150-steel-hex-web-blk-pvc-coated-fence/

Metal, coated, plenty of length and not too bad on price. I'll have about 20 ft left for other needs. Chain link removable fence would have cost me close to $3 000.
That basically is chicken wire...it's just coated with plastic.

Uncoated would cost about $100 less http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/poultry-netting-72-in-x-50-ft

Khool.
No, here in Pacific NW I have to have it humidity proof. It's WET. HUMID. But it's a very nice option, thank you.

I'll swing by Tractor Supply and check on that netting. There is a local store on our Saturday shopping route. I'll need 3 rolls, it'll add up to $ 190 almost vs $249 for deer netting. Plus I'll need a gate, but that's easy anywhere in local stores. And a few days off work.
wee.gif

I'll swing by Tractor Supply and check on that netting. There is a local store on our Saturday shopping route. I'll need 3 rolls, it'll add up to $ 190 almost vs $249 for deer netting. Plus I'll need a gate, but that's easy anywhere in local stores. And a few days off work.
wee.gif
ukrkoz, which Tractor Supply store do you use in our area (if your in the Portland area)?

Last edited:
Quote:
I am planning on fencing approximately 130 by 50 area of my backyard, to contain chickens, so that they do NOT eat on vegetable beds. (they are great farmers otherwise)

My dilemma is this:

Ideas?

I don't think that chickens see very well or that they are all that great at judging distances. A 5 foot "non-climbable horse fence" with fence posts 3 or 4 feet taller than the 5 foot wire will likely look like an 8 or 9 foot obstacle to most chickens, especially while they are standing on the ground looking up. As for keeping out "tree rats," your own your own.

Or you could erect a 3 foot fence of stronger wire and then top it with a section of 5 foot 2 inch by 2 inch hex shaped chicken wire on 8 or 9 net foot posts. This will give you an 8 foot tall fence that is too flimsy for a hen to fly up too and then perch on while she plots her next move.

I once had a run made like this that enclosed 3 acres. it didn't keep 100% of my hens in but it kept 99%+ on the right side of the fence.

Khool.
No, here in Pacific NW I have to have it humidity proof. It's WET. HUMID. But it's a very nice option, thank you.
I've seen alot of plastic coated galvanized fencing rot just as fast as uncoated.....
.......because when the coating starts to break down it actually holds water in contact with the metal.
Something to think about.

TSC may have coated wire but maybe not in 6' ...they might not even stock the 6' uncoated....you'll have to ask.
My TSC charges shipping for anything they don't stock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom