fence width... could they fit through?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Burg Peeps, Jun 20, 2011.

1. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    We are getting 4 barred Rock Hens and are hoping to let them free range our yard. Do you think they could get through our fence posts? They are just under 4" wide.
    Here is a photo of the fence.

[​IMG]

2. DingleBay

DingleBay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I bet they will be gone in a heartbeat (after much examination). You could attach chicken wire to the fence though. Looking at your nice deck, are you sure you want poop all over the place?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  3. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Oh they surely will try. Perhaps you could get some matching cross-hatch design fencing to keep them out of the deck and pool area. You don't want to find out the hard way. Although my backyard isn't a pretty as yours, I had an oops to relate to you. Friday I accidentally left the gate ti the run ajar and the girls got out and free ranged all over the yard. They even feasted on my new baby lettuces - ate every single one! They're not allowed over there when I'm outside - so that's most likely the first place they struck!

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Once they are grown I doubt they will try to get through.

I wouldn't do anything to try and prevent it unless it does become a problem.

5. The Burg Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There is the layout of our yard. We want to keep them out of the pool area but allow them to free range the rest of the yard. If they fit through the pool fence they may just have to be limited to the coop grass area which is 29x12ft. For 4 chickens I think it will be fine but would love for them to have the entire backyard. A full sized Female Mallard can fit through... so I think the chickens just may be able to. [​IMG]

6. The Burg Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    bump

7. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I would get some of that roll bamboo fencing and tie it up every section of your existing fence to keep them out. [​IMG]

8. The Burg Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    I would get some of that roll bamboo fencing and tie it up every section of your existing fence to keep them out.

This is a great idea. I think if they can fit through that is what we will do. Thanks so much ChooksinChoppers!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by