fencing advice!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stephensc7146, Apr 4, 2012.

1. stephensc7146

stephensc7146 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    I'm building a fenced in area for my chickens, but my biggest struggle right now is what height fencing I need. I thought about 4 ft, but I know chickens jump pretty high. So maybe 5 ft? They cannot be free range because of the neighbors dog. So any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Chickens can pretty much hop to the top of a 5 ft and even taller fence and hop down on the other side. To avoid this, you could extend your fencing material past your fence posts and gates by 8 in. so they won't have anything on which to land when they hop up. Most full grown laying hens won't actually fly over a fence that is 4-5 ft. tall but they will hop to the top.

1 person likes this.
  3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    My girls fly right over the 4' electric netting (a lot of good THAT does!) They will also go over the 6' fence at the other coop. Some will hop to the top, as the other poster said, but some will fly right over. You may have to clip wings to keep them in.

1 person likes this.
  4. stephensc7146

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    I was also thinking of gettin the 5 ft fencing, and finding a way to make a canopy top to it, I just want to be able to get in the area to pay them some attention since I'm trying to socialize them while they are young. Thanks to the boh of you for the advice! By the way, if I clip their wings, do they grow back? Probably a silly question, but I don't know much about feathers.

5. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Yes, if you clip their wings, they will grow back after a molt.

We are building a 6ft run with netting on top to keep them from flying up to it. I guess it depends on what types of birds you have. Smaller birds can fly higher than the heavier breeds like orpingtons.

6. stephensc7146

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    I have 6 red sex links, 6 barred rocks, and 2 bantams. I know the bantams ill have to worry more about.

7. twinzmom

twinzmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Saugerties NY
    I'm gonna jump in here and ask my question...if you don't mind.
    We built our run and used 4 ft. chain link fencing, that we got for free. Our plan is to make a canopy to keep them in and to keep hawks and other predators out. MY question is this...We are thinking we will have to put hardware cloth or chicken wire part of the way up the bottom and as an apron around the base of the fence, is this the way to go or can we just do with the chainlink fencing if we put raised beds around the perimeter.?
    Our coop is 8x8 and the run is 35'x10' for 8 chickens...is this a sufficient size?

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is a big difference in what chickens can fly or jump over and what they will fly or jump over. It’s called motivation. (Key in Frank Sinatra singing “High Hopes”.)

I’ve kept chickens (full sized adults) inside 4’ high electric netting. I never had one get out by flying over. One got out through the coop door one day. When I was trying to herd her back to the coop door, she felt put upon and flew back over the netting to get back inside with her buddies. She was a two year old full sized hen and cleared that netting by an easy foot.

I’ve kept chickens in a run with 5’ high sides. The chickens stayed in there without a problem for about a year. One day, a hen went over the sides and out to freedom when she was trying to get away from an amorous rooster. Once she learned how to get out, she did daily and taught two of her buddies to go with her. I raised the sides of the coop by another three feet. The chickens stay in.

Pay attention to what Bee said. If the chickens have a top rail on the fence they can land on, they will hop/fly up there because they like to perch. There is no telling which side they will hop down on. If you do not give them a place to land on top of the fence, they are a lot less likely to get out.

The feathers will grow back whenever they molt. An adult usually molts once a year but a juvenile will molt twice from the time it feathers out until it gets its adult plumage. They simply outgrow their feathers and have to grow new ones.

We built our run and used 4 ft. chain link fencing, that we got for free. Our plan is to make a canopy to keep them in and to keep hawks and other predators out. MY question is this...We are thinking we will have to put hardware cloth or chicken wire part of the way up the bottom and as an apron around the base of the fence, is this the way to go or can we just do with the chainlink fencing if we put raised beds around the perimeter.? Our coop is 8x8 and the run is 35'x10' for 8 chickens...is this a sufficient size?

That is a real good size for that number of chickens. Others will tell you that you can put more chickens in there, and they will be right, but I find the more room I give them the less hard I have to work. I think you will be real happy with that size for 8 chickens. You can add more if you want. That extra size will make integration easier. Or if one goes broody and you let her hatch chicks she could raise them in there.

The only problem with raised beds around the chain link is that the chickens will reach through and eat the stuff within reach. I’d personally use the cheaper chicken wire to keep their heads in.

1 person likes this.
  9. twinzmom

twinzmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Saugerties NY
    ok thanks.... i would not really care if they ate from the raised beds. I considered putting some things in there specifically for them. I am also thinking that I might run a moveable fence down the center so we can move it and they can have new grass and foraging every so often. Right now we think 8 is our magic number...hopefully our chicken math is steady.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by