Fencing for American Buff Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Oneacre Homestead, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi, will a three foot fence really hold them? Can they fly? I clip my chickens wings once a year, is it the same deal with geese? Any fencing tips from you experienced geese owners? I really cannot have them getting into my husbands beautiful vegetable garden or it could be curtains!!
    Thank you!

2. Hi,

Part of the reason I like our ducks and geese is that they stay so close to the ground - unlike our chickens. Our goslings I keep in with a 2 to 3 foot puppy exercise fence that would be absolutely pointless with young chickens, but works like a charm with the geese. I have heard of geese flying over a fence, but only when it was on a steepish hill, and they had enough momentum to clear the fence at the bottom . . . on flat ground I think they are too heavy to fly very far at all.

I hope that helps . . .

Rachel in Washington

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I use hog panels and they are just about three feet high - they should work just fine.

4. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Yep the hog panels will do 'er.

These aren't chickens, most of the chickens I'm familiar with (banties and old english games) will fly straight UP 10 feet or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by