fencing for goats and chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by still learning, Feb 25, 2009.

1. still learning

still learning Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2008
    I shared here earlier that we are preparing our land for goats and layers. I was originally planning on having separate pasture areas for each, but dh (who is also the fence builder) asked me the other day if they needed to have separate areas. I told him I had no idea![​IMG] But I am guessing y'all here know the answer?

We are planning stalls for our milking does in the pole barn and a separate coop for the chickens. Then there is the fencing. Should we keep them separate from each other? If they are separate, how much land for about 20 layers? And for two does, how much land is the minimum to keep them happy and healthy?

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I used to keep my chickens and goats together, but recently separated them because the chickens made the goats smelly...

They do alot better separated, now I know. My hens lay better, too.

As far as space...depends on the size of the goats.

3. still learning

Sep 20, 2008
    Quote:They made the goats smelly?? Well, if the fencing goes in without too many delays, we'll have a 3yr old Saanen who will be due in August, and a younger kid doe (alpine) for company. I don't think we'll keep the Saanen's babies...but having just seen the pix of those Boer babies being born...sooooooooooooo cute!!!

4. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My chickens live with my goats and horses. They lay great and seem happy digging through the fresh manure. The goats aren't smelly at all. Just this morning there was a cockeral on my older goats back and an older roo jumped up and knocked him off and took his place. My goat (Roxanne) just looked back at him and then at me and smiled. They have a special relationship. My goats love to play with the chickens.

My chickens free range, so they have as much land (woods and fields) as they want. The goats and horses have a couple of acres to share. We'll expand a bit each year as we can. But everyone is happy. Together.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    1 acre will stay green with those #s! They can stay together; but hens may tend to lay anywhere soft and quiet(stalls).

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Yes, my pullets did start laying in the stalls, but I moved their eggs to the nest boxes and showed them. I left the eggs there for a few days until they got the idea. I still have one pullet that likes to lay in the hay rack, but that's okay as long as I get it before it falls through.

7. still learning

Sep 20, 2008
    Quote:Hmmmmmmm...I hadn't thought about how the hens would then have access to the goats stalls. I am not too excited about hunting around for eggs. Plus, wouldn't the goats be tempted to eat the eggs?

Maybe it would be better to keep them separate.

If I keep them separate, is there a rule of thumb for land for the chickens and a different one for the goats? In the goat books I am reading they all seem to either assume we have endless land or only room for a "small yard". We aren't either of those. I just read in one book that a small yard for two does could be 200 sq. feet, which seemed awfully small to me?? But isn't there some guideline inbetween "free ranging on acres" and 200 sq. feet?

8. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    my goats live with the chickens, i did have some chicks trampled by some of the goats, and once in a while the chickens will poop on the goats, they roost in the rafters, but all in all it's ok, i think having the goats running around deter predators
    [​IMG]

9. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    my roo used to hang out in the goat pen and so did the duck. she had a kiddie pool in the pen and favored a spot under the corner of the goat shed to lay her eggs.

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My Nigi's share a run with the chickens but they both have their own places to sleep. When my chickens are let out to free range every day they are run around with the horses, llamas and large goats and, thus far, I've had no problems.

If you can train your chickens to lay in their nest boxes it really helps not having to hunt for eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by