Fencing for Guineas

BellhreyFarm

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2018
I have pinioned Guineas(8) that I let free range during the day and then they have a predator proof house they go in at night. They only get to free range when I’m home and can keep an eye on them. I would like to put fencing around our 26 acres so they can free range more often and to keep the Guineas from going to the neighbors. Does anyone have experience with perimeter fencing for Guineas? I keep going back and forth between 4”x4” squares in goat/sheep fencing vs. the 2” non-climb horse fencing. If they can squeeze through the 4” squares it would defeat the purpose. Any thoughts/experience appreciated.

I have pinioned Guineas(8) that I let free range during the day and then they have a predator proof house they go in at night. They only get to free range when I’m home and can keep an eye on them. I would like to put fencing around our 26 acres so they can free range more often and to keep the Guineas from going to the neighbors. Does anyone have experience with perimeter fencing for Guineas? I keep going back and forth between 4”x4” squares in goat/sheep fencing vs. the 2” non-climb horse fencing. If they can squeeze through the 4” squares it would defeat the purpose. Any thoughts/experience appreciated.
Young guineas would not have any problem going through a 4"x4" hole but I think it would contain adults. Not the sturdiest but I am using 2"x4"x6' welded wire fencing. They can fly over the fence but numerous training exercises have kept that to a minimum but during breeding season (now) it seems like a guinea a day thing. Once the escapee has been returned to the pen, it normally does not happen again during that day.

The most important part is not to provide a perch at the top of the fence. No top rail or board. A top rail provides an enticing perch which inevitably the guineas will get down on the wrong side of the fence from their "perch".

Good luck.

My guineas easily fly up on the roof of our house. They can also fly over any fence I have. They squeeze right thru 4 by 4 field fence. Problem is, once they fly over the fence they can't figure out how to fly back. They will walk back and forth along the fence for hours. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom