Fencing for hens and goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FrenchFarm, May 27, 2008.

1. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm Goats confuse them

May 22, 2008
    Michigan
    We have 25 young ISA brown hens-to-be and are getting ready to make them an outdoor pen. They will share one wall of their pen with two dairy goats. Is there any kind of fencing with small enough openings for hens, but that the goats won't climb on and tear up? It would be nice if it looks decent too, not just like netting, since it's visible from our front yard. Any input would be appreciated. - Stephanie

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm planning to use "horse fence" for our ducks & goat pen.

http://www.redbrand.com/products/product2.asp?category=Fence&subcat=2&productID=4

It's kind of pricey, though...but I found some used stuff for pretty cheap. There is also welded wire mesh or "field fence" that I found at Home Depot. It's about $90 for 330 feet & it's four feet tall.

The "horse fence" I'm getting is 5 feet tall.

What kind of goats do you have?

3. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm Goats confuse them

May 22, 2008
    Michigan
    We don't have the goats yet, but in about four weeks we'll be getting two French Alpines. Phillisa is a year old and will be freshening this month. The younger one, Isabelle, was born in February.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So milk goats, huh? My MIL has Boer goats and one Fainter/Nubian cross. My two are 1/2 pygmies. But I'm planning to sell them & I'm wanting some Barbados sheep...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by