Fencing in my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Enchanted, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Enchanted

Enchanted Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Alliance, NC
    I have an 4x8 coop that will hold my 15 girls that will be arriving soon. Will whelp them in the house, but once I get them to the chicken yard 23x23, how high should I make the fencing? I know I need to do some underground work as we have snakes and such..no rocks to be found tho. I have had the locals here (recently moved here) suggest that I put rocks all along the fencing...Will my girls fly out when they get bigger?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    You can clip the flight feathers on one wing and that will greatly reduce their flying ability. My run is a dog kennel with 6' high panels. Birds have clipped flight feathers and stay inside...with the exception of one determined Ancona! [​IMG] Thinking about leg irons for that one!!
    If I may ask, what is the fencing material you are going to use?

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    It depends upon the breeds. Heavy breeds won't typically fly as high. Bantams - that's another thing. Our OEGB can fly to the patio roof. Also, do you have hawks/flying predators? If you do, you might consider covering the run. If the coop is in the middle of a fenced yard type of run (that will be uncovered), I'd recommend 6 ft. for standard chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Good points, TXchickmum! I hadn't considered that in my advice. My escapee is a light breed - the ones that don't get out are heavier breeds.

5. KLLEETRUCKING

KLLEETRUCKING Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Utopia, S.C.
    Only been into chickens for about a year so take my advice for what it's worth.

Yes, your chickens will fly out when they get old enough, ,, unless you clip their wings. Something I have a problem with.

Chicken wire: only good for keeping chickens IN, not so good for keeping predators out.

My DGF and I learned the the hard way through loss by predators that EVERYTHING loves chicken. The birds protection is mandatory if you plan to keep them.We have their coop pretty much predator proof and haven't had any overnite losses. Free ranging is another story though. Now, they only free range under our eyesite and Mr.20 ga. is at the ready.

I'm not trying to scare you, just making you aware. Look up, cntrywmnkw , there's pics of our setup.

Treat your birds as best you can and you'll be rewarded.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    IF you think you will be covering the run in netting, you will want to make it high enough that you can easily walk around. I don't cover my run, some fly out, and most do not. ALways the same ones.

No perfect system. I don't have snakes here that are a problem, so IDK there; the coyote grab the birds that free range, better fencing puts an end to that. Fox jump my fencing, but he doesn't visit after getting chased by a shouting crazy person.he he Hawks stop by. A hawk took one young bird; another hawk had to leave his kill behind as it was too big to carry. IT happens. My goal is to make it too hard to bother again. Roosters stay on guard duty.

7. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    If you can, make it at least 6' high & cover it. I used 2 x 4 welded wire all the way around & on the top & is buried about 6" down, plus I lined the bottom 2+ feet with chicken wire & 1/2 " hardware cloth, so that predators can't reach in & get my girls. Here are pics of the set-up I have. The small white pen in center of pic is a "junior" pen my DBF & I built to put the babies in until they were big enough to be with the "big" girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  8. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I used electrified poultry netting from Premier to surround my coop. It encloses a 100X100' safe area. You don't have to dig, or install any kind of apron with this fence. Over 7000Vs works well in keeping ground predators away. You can protect a much larger area for less money with the electronet, than a wood framed, hardware clothed fence. As long as the birds have places to get under and hide, threats from airborne preds are reduced. You can get either a solar, or household current powered fence. As far as the chickens flying over. I had one do that the first day the fence was up. I clipped one of her wings, and have not had one go over since. They are out everyday, and the fence will have been up a year, next month. The pic below shows my setup.
    Jack

[​IMG]

9. Enchanted

Enchanted Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Alliance, NC
    Wow, thank you all! A lot of info! Yes we have red-tail hawks and turkey buzzards, coyote, fox and snakes. I think a covered run is a good idea, just need to do it cost effectivly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by