Fencing is Cattle Panels, would this hold ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scottyhorse, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    I am considering hatching some duck eggs. They would be in the goat pen because we can't have them going into the horse trough! I was wondering if there are any duck breeds that would be too fat to fit through. We have a rooster who's mother was an Easter Egger, and his father was I believe and OEGF, but larger. He can fit through just fine, but it seems ducks are a little less flexible than chickens LOL

I was wondering if anyone knew of a breed that would be okay for this set up. Thanks!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    No, they won't work. You would have to put fencing with smaller openings over it. My Muscvoy drake can walk through the openings as can my Jersey Giant roos. Also, the big openings will also let alot of things in.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah, i think you could have a problem. I watched one of my 6mth ducks(muscovy) climb through the opening in my horse fence yesterday(it's a page wire)

Young ducklings can fit through the darnedest places, you need a really small wire to keep them in.

4. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    Okay. We are going to make a pen for the chickens, so I guess we should wait till that's up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by