1. Puget Sounder FC

Puget Sounder FC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I am starting on the run design and need help on the best fencing material. I must be able to keep out 100# dog, a clan of raccoons and opossums.

2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    If you don't have to pinch pennies, 1/2 in x 1/2 in hardware cloth is your best bet. You can buy it in widths of 2, 3 or 4 ft. I had Ace hardware special order me 100 ft rolls. Then use a roller to paint it all black or otherwise the light reflection makes it hard to see into.

3. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:I agree this is what you should use. Look around farm supply stores where you would buy livestock and tractor supplies they should have the larger rolls for a good price.

4. azrc

azrc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Phoenix
    I made mine out of a free chainlink fence that I got off of craigslist and wrapped it in chicken wire used for stuccoing at the hardware store (a lot cheaper than in the fencing section for some reason)

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I used 2 x 4 fencing on for the top 5 to 6 feet and the small grid hardware cloth for the bottom 2 feet. I also covered the top with bird netting. My husband also added an old trampoline mat to the top of the run for shade. It works pretty good too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also want to say, [​IMG] !

6. Puget Sounder FC

Puget Sounder FC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Thank you for all the assistance!

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Welcome to a few T-town person. There's a few of of on here!

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I totally agree that hardware cloth is always the best option.

However, if money is an issue then use the 2x4 woven wire if possible, otherwise 2x4 welded wire. Just remember that raccoons and even some cats have been known to reach through the wire, grab a chicken and pull it out so that's why you want to have another smaller holed fence going around the bottom of the fencing up to a height of about 2 feet. Hardware cloth there is a great option otherwise you can use 1" chicken wire. And, bury that wire at least 15 to 18 inches into the ground to stop diggers.

My 100 lb. dog easily goes through chain link fencing so I, personally, wouldn't use it for my chickens. Other people have used it with no problems but they apparently haven't had a BIG dog wanting through theirs! [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That is why I recommended that the hardware cloth be used around the bottom and the 2x4 welded wire used around the top. The 2 ft. of hardware cloth will prevent any little predator paws from reaching in and grabbing the chickens and the 2x4 welded wire is so much stronger than chicken wire. Chicken wire is only made to keep chickens in. It won't keep anything out, no matter how far you bury it.

If a 100 dog wants the chickens that bad, I'm afraid there's not much of anything that is going to keep him out.

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:The best if you can afford it is the 14 gage welded wire 1/2"x1/2" that will keep all preditors out unless they have a bolt cutter or a sawzaw [​IMG], I have welded wire on my run and it is high about $275 for 100' roll but it worth it.

good luck.

Omran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by