Fencing off the Garden

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SusanJoM, Sep 4, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, it's not as if I didn't know it was going to happen, but I had put in the raised beds before I decided to re-start a flock of chickens. Now that I'm up to 50 chickens and can't bear to keep them "in", the veggies took a beating. Add the chickens to the gophers and there wasn't much left for me.

So....before Spring I need to turn all of the raised beds over and put hardware cloth under them for the gophers. Then I need to put a fence up, and I'm trying to decide whether to fence each 4 X 8 bed OR fence around 4 4 X 8 beds.

Currently I'm partial to fencing around all four so that I can just go inside and move more freely around. I'm have room to put up a 14 X 24' enclosure which will house all 4 beds with room to move around and room between the beds and the fence.

So.....Who has good ideas for me? I can't imagine I need anything as strong as what I put up around the coop; on the other hand, I'm not partial to the look of "poultry wire", so maybe just a lighter gauge of the 2 X 4 will do.

But...anyone have any garden enclosure pictures to help me out with the planning????

That would be very nice....

Susan

2. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Yeah Susan,,,,I did the same thing two weeks ago,,,went for the chicken wire though,,put deer fencing as a cover over the top. Placed large rocks all the way around the outside,, built a small tunnel of wire and 2X4's linking the 16X50 foot run to the garden. Made little gates to close it off when I want to. Never have closed the gates,,they can come and go when they want. The peppers and onions will do fine. Forget your tomatoes and lettuce,,, H*ll, who needs tomatoes anyway,,,,, just look for a new location next year for your garden,,,,far away from your runs,,,, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That would be a good idea if I had more space with the right lighting, etc., but I've been tweaking this 1/2 acre for 30 years now, and the only good space left is where it is....so...fencing it my only option if I'm gonna let the chickens out....and I am....

As for this year's stuff, I just have small cages around what I'm still trying to salvage and/or get started (one good tomato MINE, lettuce for through the winter in half wine barrels, young chard starts in same). Most everything else I have simply acknowledged as theirs....

Oooh, I just saw this picture, and maybe I can go with chicken wire after all. This is pretty nice
    http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/NealV/35050.jpg

Susan

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by