Fencing Options

uknotku

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2018
Would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this fencing as an option the HWC. https://www.critterfence.com/black-steel-web-hexagrid-6-x-150

I get that it's like chicken wire, but it is of a heavier cage than most and also have the vinyl coating.

I've got a 30x30 chicken run to do and a couple of other new runs to do, so the HWC can get expenses. I will say that this place is the cheapest I have seen for HWC and has it in very large heights.

Thanks,
Kyle

What gauge is it?
Advantage of hardware cloth is the smaller size opening. 1" poultry wire can allow some things to get through or reach through that hardware cloth can stop.
I don't think as far as strength that hardware cloth is by any means the be all end all.
Its usually the same or close to the same gauge as poultry wire. And you can ask my dog he can go through hardware cloth almost as quick as chicken wire.

That's a complex problem and the fence is just one aspect of it. The predators in your area, and your plan for protecting against them are key...

For instance the 1" gap in the hex weave will let it (if they are around you) snakes, mice, and rats. I don't know how small of a hole mink or weasels need, but not a very big one. Further raccoons can climb that fence, chew through it (unless it's a heavy gauge, but I can't tell that from the listing), or reach through it and grab a bird and kill it.

You have a very large area you're working with... that makes things tough. Have you considered an electrified net fence?
https://www.premier1supplies.com/list.php?mode=list&cat_id=53&species_id[]=6

What gauge is it?
Advantage of hardware cloth is the smaller size opening. 1" poultry wire can allow some things to get through or reach through that hardware cloth can stop.
I don't think as far as strength that hardware cloth is by any means the be all end all.
Its usually the same or close to the same gauge as poultry wire. And you can ask my dog he can go through hardware cloth almost as quick as chicken wire.

You beat me to it :)

Quick Q (apologies OP, not trying to thread jack) I totally agree HW cloth is not that strong per se, but it's awfuly... well... stabby. It's hard enough to manipulate with tools and opposable thumbs. How exactly does your dog go through it?

You beat me to it :)

Quick Q (apologies OP, not trying to thread jack) I totally agree HW cloth is not that strong per se, but it's awfuly... well... stabby. It's hard enough to manipulate with tools and opposable thumbs. How exactly does your dog go through it?
Biting and pulling at it and digging action against it.
He then works it loose and pushes his way through. Is also amazing how small of a space he can get through.
He's an old bad @$$ farm dog (aussie)
Twice now he's got through chain link fencing when trying to get to one of our females in heat. He just got it all twisted looking and pulled it loose from where its attached to the posts at the corners.

Biting and pulling at it and digging action against it.
He then works it loose and pushes his way through. Is also amazing how small of a space he can get through.
He's an old bad @$$ farm dog (aussie)
Twice now he's got through chain link fencing when trying to get to one of our females in heat. He just got it all twisted looking and pulled it loose from where its attached to the posts at the corners.

Bad ass, indeed! Geez o man! To his credit I hope he's tougher, smarter, and more motivated than a coyote or fox ;) He must have superb technique to not slice up his gums and paws working it!

HWC is certainly not that strong but injuries acquired while trying to work through it are the main deterrent, I figure. Communicating "You'll find easier meals elsewhere" is my main defensive strategy :)

Back
Top Bottom