Fencing Size/Gauge Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KellyGwen, May 6, 2008.

1. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Hi All!

I just came back from our local feed/supply store with my welded wire fence. I really wanted to get the 1x2 (6' tall) but it was REALLY expensive! So I got 2x4 instead (half the price!!)... How long should I wait until I let my babies out in that? Will they be able to squeeze through??? This is my first time building a run/coop... I didn't want to use "poultry net" aka chicken wire because I was afraid of dogs/raccoons ripping through it... I am still planning on installing a "skirt" of chicken wire at the base of the fence to prevent digging.

Thanks!!!
    Kelly

P.S. My peeps aren't even here yet!! [​IMG] They are being shipped on Monday! [​IMG]

2. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Anyone?
    [​IMG]

3. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Sorry I cant help you on this one since i used chicken wire LOL!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use the 2x4 welded wire and then line the bottom 2 or 3 feet with either chicken wire or hardware cloth. I prefer the hardware cloth because it's studier.

5. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Peruvian_princess... haha.. thanks anyway! [​IMG]

Katy... Thanks! That's what I was thinking of doing, I just wanted to run it by someone who has used it. [​IMG]

Thanks girls!! [​IMG]

6. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Your welcome even though it wasnt much help [​IMG]

7. MSP

MSP Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Mississippi
    I used the welded wire on my duck run/house.

One problem I have had is some times the joints give and I end up with breaks to fix. On the bottom we have a bunch of gaps made from weed whacking around the run. Weed whacker has made a mess out of the welded wire.

Duck run/house is getting a renovation before I begin the coop and chicken run construction so I have decided to add hardware cloth or chicken wire to the bottom of the run all the way around.

Not sure which would be better the hardware cloth or the chicken wire but be aware of the potential problem with the welded wire.

I have had no problems with it on the actual duck house though.

8. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I put the welded wire up (what I was able to buy.. they didn't have enough!). I am planning now to get some chicken wire or hardware cloth to add to it.

Here are a few pictures of my run so far!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't WAIT to get my babies!! They are being shipped on MONDAY!!! HOORAY!

9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My girls were allowed into my garden surrounded with 2x4 wire at week 4 and weren't able to go through...even though a few tried. They are all standards, but if you have bantams then this won't help you much.

10. POC

POC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You think chicken wire is to weak? Have you ever tried to pull it apart? Give it a go, I bet you can't budge it, and you are stronger than a 'coon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by