Fencing to allow chicks out but keep (most) dogs out?

Steve in Vermont

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
This is my first post. I've spent an hour or so searching on this forum for the answer to this question with no luck, so I figured I would register and post. If the question has been specifically answered, please direct me.
I am planning to get about 10 chicks and keep them in a 8x6 shed which I will convert to a coop. I'm thinking about creating a fencing situation around the coop in which the chicks could hop over it and free-range but at the same time, generally keep out neighborhood dogs which roam freely during the day. Is this possible? What height/type would be ideal? Could the chicks hop back over the fence when they feel threatened? Am I way off base here?
Thanks and please forgive my newbi-ness.

Last edited:
Most chickens will RUN for cover rather than fly unless you get the lightbreeds. I have seen GSD climbed a six foot chain link fence easily. If you are worried about the neighbors dogs coming on the property, do the SSS deed.
wink.png

Hey Steve
welcome-byc.gif
And not to worry about your newbi-ness!! That's what BYC is for!

That said, I really don't have an answer for you,
th.gif

We keep our chickens in a Fort Knox type coop and run, as I suspect most people will advise you to do, especially if you are worried about stray/neighbor dogs or any other predators. As stated, chickens tend to run for cover when threatened, or, at the very least they would not understand to fly over a fence is to reach safety. They tend to panic, and, well, the results aren't pretty.

HTH

Good luck!!

Ma

(I don't have a clue what the SSS deed is, but will watch this post in an effort to enlighten myself
smile.png
)

Last edited:
SSS = Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up.

This is a good option if you have pest animals like raccoons, possums, coyotes, or irresponsible dog owners nearby. But, your first line of defense should be de fence.
tongue.png

Put up perimeter fencing around your yard and make sure any roving dogs stay out. Kind of expensive in the short term but worth it.

Welcome, Steve!! Yeah, we've had wa-ay too many sad posts on here of people who have lost whole flocks to wandering dogs - stray and otherwise. My advice to you would be to build a run where the chicks can come out but be safe. Lots of people here let their chickens free range when they can be there to watch them. Some do it the last two hours of the day so they will go back in their coop at night. Your plan sounds good in theory but chicks/chickens haven't got the brain power to figure out they need to fly over the fence. Hope you enjoy your new baby chicks!!!!!

My chickens are ding dongs. When they are being chased, they run at first but then just squat and squeeze their eyes shut. In other words, doggy dinner. Beyond that, anything that a chick, or chicken for that matter, could quickly make it over, a big dog could scale in a fraction of the time. I personally wouldn't try it but to each his own.

Last edited:
just want to add that dogs dig under fences and slaughter chickens on a routine basis = just start reading the predator/pests postings. I did go for 3 years with no problems with an electric fence and wire fence, but lost a much loved flock in about 20 minutes when a dog dug under the fence. My fault, I had turned off the electric wire.

Protect those chicks! and even a fence alone won't be enough over time. You will need overhead protection, and protection against varmits climbing over the top, and digging under, too.

Back
Top Bottom