Fencing to keep out a fox ( or predators ) during the day

loopipi

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Forest Lake
Hi,
recently I have had a dog and fox problem. I was able to obtain several chain link dog fences and string them together. I have one section that is 4 feet high and have covered it with dog kennel. I have two other sections that are six feet high and have covered them with tarp. My question is - will a fox dig or jump into a tarped topped kennel in the day. We always put our birds in at night. The fox has only snatched chickens during the day. We are out quite a bit and have dogs. The fox could dig underneath or leap ontop of the tarp and I am sure it would not hold but, I am wondering if they would be that brazen. I am planning on further reinforcing it but, we are going to be out of town soon and I am not sure if I can get it done before then. I have had chickens disapear when I go out of town. It is heartbreaking. I am hoping you all will say that the problem has been 95 percent solved? oh.. also I have a live fox trap but, I have only caught three chickens and a squirrel! Thank you my chicken lovin friends !

Good question. It is a standard poodle. He is a house dog. He would hate being with the chickens. We have another dog but, she is the one who takes out the chickens if unattended.. along with a German Shepherd neighbor dog :( .. so I think they need to be in the pen by themselfs.. and the pen is not that big .. It is three 8x6 kennels all combined. I have fourteen chickens. Thanks!

If you have a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket, then look into electrified poultry netting. Also work on breaking your dog of going after birds. Under certain situations I would discretely shoot offending German sheperd with low powered air-rifle in backside. Make so it does not know you are doing it. Do so only when dog targeting birds if possible. Think chicken tractor as well.

Hotwire sounds like your best bet-- i think its tough once the predator knows where your birds are and has targeted them-- not a great scenario for leaving them unsupervised when you are out of town (hence the dog suggestion I think)-- how long will you be out of town?
One thing I thought of (we have 16 chickens), if you have a garage, put down straw and set up your feeders/waterers, and leave them in the garage for a couple of days-- ours is predator proof, and stays nice and cool (70's) even on the hottest days....Messy, but safe....

Back
Top Bottom