Fencing????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by scrambledmess, Sep 13, 2010.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I called a guy today to put in a chain link fence behind my house. Our dogs ran off last week so we need a fence.

Anyway, 300 ft of 4 ft chain link would cost me nearly $3000 to be installed. Is this serious?

We had about the same done 5 years ago with a walk thru gate and a tractor gate and it was less then $800. Have the prices really gone up this much? Or did I get lucky with an awesome price that long ago?

I have two other guys coming tomorrow and on Wednesday to give me additional estimates. But I am NOT paying this much for fencing. We may just rent an auger and put up panels of privacy fencing on our own.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    $10 a linear foot sounds about right. Metal prices have skyrocketed in recent years. I think material alone would be around $5-$6 ft. depending where you are, sad but true. Fencing is one project that you can save a ton of $$ doing yourself. I used to build fence for a living. Also, your older project sounds like a great deal. If you go with the wooden fence you might find the cost savings in building out your own panels to be worth it. You get a little wiggle room setting your posts since you can cut the spans to fit, instead of working with an exact panel and exact post distance. Also, the panels you build will likely hold up better over time than the manufactured ones.

3. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    This spring I had a guy put up a fence for me, 700-800 feet using livestock fencing, one 10 foot gate, one 20 foot double gate and it was $2000 total.
    Next time I am using no climb horse fencing.
    But it is overall cheaper to use that then chain link.

4. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    We paid 900.00 for an 82 foot section and one gate so I think that sounds about what it is going for.

5. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    just had 1500 feet of 6' chain link for 10k. With 4 gates. Maybe you should remind them there are other companies and a recession going on.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Chainlink is really not rocket science to install yourself, if you have some familiarity with setting posts and building things. There are some good tutorials available free online if you have never done it before.

If you are not sure whether a quoted commercial installation price is reasonable, best (really, ONLY) way to find out is to get quotes from OTHER companies in your area. It really is irrelevant whether people in other areas, or at other times, had better rates or not -- what matters is whether you can get someone to do it for cheaper [​IMG] (This is one of those things though where I'd suggest checking a few references if at ALL possible, as it is not terribly uncommon to see chainlink installed really really badly, to the point where it is not honestly much of a dog fence)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Chainlink is fairly easy. Due to design it doesn't come out weird like field fencing if you don't stretch it properly. If you want something installed professionally field fencing is cheaper but sometimes more difficult to find someone who will install it since most people in town want chainlink and that's what most companies deal with.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:No, but if the posts are not set right, or if the fence is insufficiently strained and lacks a bottom wire and top rail, or if cheesy hardware is selected (e.g. those clips rather than the bolt-thru connectors, to attach stretcher bars to end posts), the fence can be quite weak and fail easily due to weather or dog pressure. I see this a fair bit in both amateur *and* professional installation jobs. So it really IS necessary to pay close attention to correct execution (yours or the ocmpany's) -- moreso than in some other kinds of fence.

JME,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by