Huskeriowa

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I live in the country but am considered rural residential. Covenants and happy neighbors dictate that I make the run look fancier than I would normally want to. Of course I know that this is going to cost more money than I would typically spend but in this situation I am forced to do my best. I plan on the wire being galvanized black vinyl attached to cedar posts but am having a difficult time finding a supplier that is fairly priced. So, my questions would be:

1. Local suppliers only carry green galvanized vinyl. Do any members have good experience with an on line supplier of fencing?

2. I am thinking that above the hardware cloth I will either run 2 x 4 inch or 2 x 2 inch wire to the top of the fence. If someone has experience with a smaller gapped wire and are happy with the results I would love to hear.

3. Any other fencing suggestions would be great! Maybe I need to go a different route all together and would love suggestions.

Thanks for entertaining an odd question.

smile.png
Hi ~ I can only tell you about what I have used~ I use Green Welded Wire 24" along the bottom of my 4 board wooden fence,to keep my dogs & chickens in my yard and most other animals out. I also use it on metal gates to keep goats in their fields. However, it does bend easily & then can come apart. It is softer because of the vinyl coating. For my chicken pens I use chicken electric netting from 'Premier One' company, I really like it,also use it for goats. However, I have it next to my board fence in some places & a Racoon jumped in 2 times, so I ran an electric wire along on top of the top board & that fixed that problem. I would recommend some type of electric because of predators, including neighbors dogs & cats. I hope this gives you a few ideas, I do live in a very rural wildlife area.
tongue.png

Quote:
Ok here goes i am a lateral thinker so I tend to put out lots of suggestions its my nature:

1. does it have to be vinyl coated? if not you can paint Galvanized with a roller and Black Rustoleum paint.

2. Chainlink comes in black vinyl coated.

3. Aviary netting comes in black good for the top.

4. Shade cloth 50 percent comes in a wide variety of colors Put that over the top of standard galvanzied wire.

5. Lath lattice comes in Vinyl There are Vinyl paints That actually do a molecular bond with the plastic... Or you could do wood.... Dont know the particulars youd have to do the research.

Most of all if you have any kind of preditors around Skunk Racoon Cats Dogs all can pull your chickens out through large diameter mesh. So how ever you have to make it pretty for the neighbors you should still line the run up to about three feet with regular chicken wire. That too can be painted black.

Here is a supplier that happens to be in my neck of the woods for Aviary materials but I do know for a fact that they will sell a whole roll of what ever you need.
http://clover.forest.net/kwcages/weldedwire.html?gclid=CLiOg_n2iKcCFR5hgwodgE9jfw

happy building

Where I live I also had to be careful not to upset anyone. I looked and looked for fence ideas. I am very happy with what we went with. I used wood and wire for mine. My chickens are locked in coop every night, and my dogs have a dog door to the yard I think animals stay out of our yard due to the two dogs. But the coop is solid and safe for them at night. My fence is really just to keep the hens in their area. There are pictures of my fence on my BYC web page.

30659_yard_and_pets_and_fence_034.jpg

30659_yard_and_pets_and_fence_033.jpg

As for the online sellers of Hardware cloth, I bought my 100' roll of 24" tall for just under $60 from CSN. It got here a few days after I ordered it and was actually shipped from my town, so that really cut down on the time it took. I think it was an excellent experience! And a big thank you should go to whomever it was on here that originally linked the information for CSN! They also sell a 36" tall roll, I think it's around $70 for the 100' roll.

Wow, thanks for the great ideas! You have all given me some new things to check out. I was curious about how galvanized fence would look with cedar and I didn't think it would look very good but you proved me wrong san415. Thanks again all.

Quote:
Lovely just Lovely. This is something similar to what I want to do for fence around my own house. The only difference I would make is use No climb wire. Its not welded but has woven knots for each cross point. .... But I digress.

Thanks everyone

Where I live is a summer resort type area, And I do have neighbors during the summer. The lots are long and narrow so the neighbors are close. I didn't want any problems so I figured as nice as possible was best. I didn't go any higher than the privacy fence so I have had to clip some of the flight feathers on one hen. We do love how the fencing looks though.

Back
Top Bottom